Re: stds-802-16: Meeting schedules

[Notice: It is the policy of 802.16 to treat messages posted here as non-confidential.]

I agree that we ought to focus on getting work done outside meetings and
minimizing our meeting schedule. Let's look at this more carefully.

Meetings provide:

*a deadline factor that gets people to take action
*a chance to cooperatively examine and debate proposals in detail
*a chance to take votes; this is how we make decisions and make progress
*many intangible benefits

In addition, meeting along with other groups (e.g., 802 or 802.11) is a
great opportunity to learn from them.

[As 802.16, we've of course had zero meetings so far. As the Study Group,
we had two. Both were productive and essential for the standardization
process. And, by the way, they were also worthwhile for many participants,
according to what they told me.]

The way I see it, we need to do the following:

(1) Find an effective frequency of meetings.
(2) Maximize the productivity of the meetings we hold.
(3) Develop an effective on-line culture, with functional electronic
procedures, and thereby try to lighten the meeting schedule.

So, what do we do about this? Here are my ideas:

(1) Frequency
 [a] meet along with each 802 Plenary Meeting (March, July, November)
 [b] plan, for the moment, to hold Interim Meetings between Plenaries
 [c] aim to reduce or eliminate the need for Interim Meetings

(2) Productive Use of Meeting Time
 [a] have a specific agenda and stick to it
 [b] focus on airing debates and then making decisions
 [c] give speakers the floor to present a case for a position
 [d] allow to the floor only positions that were presented in writing in
advance
 [e] encourage people to study the contributions in advance [how?]
 [f] avoid reopening previous decisions
 [g] co-locate meetings with related events

(3) Develop an Effective On-Line Culture
 [a] Create Web Site and archive contributions [I think we're there.]
 [b] Create archived email reflector [I think we're there.]
 [c] Encourage contributions
     -publish timely, clear, and specific "Calls for Contributions"
     -set up a clear contribution process [are we there yet?]
     -make it easy for contributions to have an impact [are we there yet?]
     -set contribution deadlines based around meetings
     -move toward contribution deadlines _not_ based around meetings
 [d] Use groupware to ease collaborative document development
     -Anyone care to evaluate some new software that IEEE is suggesting?
 [e] Institute electronic voting
     -Anyone care to propose a procedure?

Cutting across (2) and (3), it's essential that we and create and empower
Task Groups and hold them responsible for the procedural actions necessary
for progress.

Please tell us what I've missed.

Roger