stds-802-16: MAC contribution

[Notice: It is the policy of 802.16 to treat messages posted here as non-confidential.]

I have accepted a contribution on behalf of the MAC Task Group:

IEEE 802.16mc-99/01
System Requirements Assuring That Point-to-Multipoint Broadband Wireless Access Networks Are Agnostic to User and Network Protocols
Ray Sanders <mailto:rws@Circuitpath.com>
<http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/mac/contrib/80216mc-99_01.pdf>

Abstract:
This document is a tutorial presentation describing a MAC-layer architecture whose objective is to assure that the 802.16 standard is agnostic to network and user protocols. This includes defining a new MAC Bandwidth Allocation Sublayer that can support any existing MAC layer (including but not limited to those normally associated with IP, ATM, STM and MPEG). It has the prospect of supporting new, as yet undefined, protocols within shared media networks in general, and Broadband Wireless Access networks in particular. The approach described provides Bandwidth-On-Demand and robust Quality of Service operation based on minislot scheduling principles being developed by a number of vendors.

This document was submitted as a System Requirements contribution, but the System Requirements Task Group felt that it was more appropriate to the MAC Task Group.

Notice I have scheduled agenda time on Thursday for the MAC group. Since we do not have a functional MAC group at this time, I will handle the agenda for that session and will place Mr. Sanders' presentation there.

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov>
Chair, IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access
National Wireless Electronic Systems Testbed (N-WEST) <http://nwest.nist.gov>
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO
phone: 1-303-497-3037  fax: 1-303-497-7828