stds-802-16: sub10: Kickoff memo

This e-mail is intended to be a kick-off memo to start the Low Frequency
Study Group activity.  If you are receiving this message directly from me,
this is a one time only.  Please sign up for the 802.16 e-mail reflector at
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/reflector.html
<http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/reflector.html>  if you haven't done
so already.  All our discussions will be public, this is the best way to
keep in touch, and I do not plan on maintaining a separate mailing list for
the Study Group.

A Quick Recap:

On Thursday, November 11th, 1999 the IEEE 802 Executive Committee
unanimously voted "To create an 802.16 Working Group Study Group (WGSG) to
investigate establishing air interface specifications for fixed point to
multi-point Broadband Wireless Access systems operating in frequency bands
below 10 GHz."
The proposal and motion included the following information:
*The output of the Study Group would be a recommendation to proceed or not
proceed with this effort and, if the recommendation is to proceed, a draft
PAR for presentation and vote at the January 2000 Working Group interim
(802.16 Session #5).
Work Plan:
*	Determination of appropriate frequency bands
*	Establishment of community interest
*	Preparation of draft PAR and Five Criteria
*	Suggestions for integrating the work into 802.16
*	Informal liaison with other standards developing organizations

Progress:
As indicated above, we have five items to address, some of which have
started already.  I solicit comments on each of these.  Taking them in turn:
Frequencies: There appears to be a general consensus to limit the effort to
licensed bands only, leaving the unlicensed bands alone.  The frequency
bands most often mentioned are the US MMDS band( 2.5 - 2.686 GHz) and the
International 3.4 - 3.7 GHz band.  Should other bands such as MDS, WCS, and
the 5 GHz NII band be considered?.  It was also suggested that the upper
portion of the UHF TV band be considered, since it will be refarmed in the
future.  Should we establish a lower frequency limit?
There are other standards organizations, such as Committee T1, addressing
fixed wireless for PSTN access.  These efforts concentrate primarily around,
but are not limited to, the PCS band.  Similarly, there is a fixed wireless
access component to the ITU IMT-2000 (3G) program.  We need to insure that
we do not duplicate these efforts.
Community Interest:  As of now, 43 people from 33 companies have contacted
me indicating an interest in participating in the group.  A listing can be
found at http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/sub10/partic.html
<http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/sub10/partic.html>  .  A number of
these people and companies are new to 802.16.  It would appear that we have
established a community of interest.
PAR and Five Criteria Preparation: I will prepare an initial draft for
review prior to the January meeting.  The meeting will have time set aside
to review, comment on and (hopefully) complete the document.
Integration of the Work into 802.16:  This is open for discussion.
Informal Liaison with other SDOs: This has begun, initially with T1P1.
Others will follow, as meeting schedules permit.

Plan of Attack:
Most of the work is expected to be done by e-mail prior to the January
meeting.  This can only happen if people submit comments, opinions or
positions via the stds-802-16@ieee.org <mailto:stds-802-16@ieee.org>
reflector for distribution.  Please begin the subject line of your message
with "sub10: " so uninterested users can filter out messages on this topic.
Roger Marks has established a separate page for the Study Group on the
802.16 web site at http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/sub10
<http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/sub10> .  Any large documents or
other items not really suitable for the reflector will be posted there.

For Session #5, I recommend that the Study Group meet on Tuesday and
Thursday evenings, from 7-10 pm.  This time will mainly be used to review
any outstanding issues, make organizational suggestions, and complete the
PAR and 5 Criteria. The results will then be submitted for Working Group
approval at the Closing Plenary on Friday morning.  If the Tuesday session
indicates that we have not allocated enough time, we may need to schedule
additional time before Thursday evening."

I remind you that any document submissions must make use of the 802.16
Document Submission Template (Rev. 6 or higher)
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/docs/802_16_template.doc
<http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/docs/802_16_template.doc>  .
See you in Texas.

Brian