stds-802-16: sub10. Bands of Interest (II)

     Unless specific limits are defined, unlicensed bands for public
     applications might present problems, in my view, to the operators, in
     the sense that they will not be able to control neither the quality of
     service to the end-users (think in terms of committed or granted
     information rates for example) nor the grade of service (or blocking
     probability thresholds), because as they do not enjoy exclusive usage
     of the frequency band, there is no way to avoid somebody else
     (normally an outside, asyncronised system) launching radiofrequency
     energy on the same band at the same place, thus creating an
     undesirable level of interference, and all this, regardless of the
     network dimensioning or level of infrastructure equipment the operator
     has put in place. These two parameters (QoS, GoS) are essential when a
     given operator (typically a CLEC) has to compete with an ILEC or other
     CLECs targeting at the same market with competing technologies.
     (Even with specific limits defined, there is a penalty introduced when
     designing the network thinking in the worst case scenario)

     On the other hand, I fully agree with your comments to look for
     maximum commonality of equipment.

     It is not my intention to "discriminate" specific bands, but please do
     not forget cost targets!

     Best regards

     Vicente