stds-802-16: ISTO update and impact on 802.16.3

Here is a report on the status of the ISTO discussions and where, in
my opinion, we should go from here.

There is discussion within the IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA)
on an effort to limit ISTO's use of the word "standard." This
limitation would, I hope, apply retroactively; for example, to past
press releases. This won't happen immediately and there is no way to
predict whether it will happen at all. The IEEE-SA has no direct
authority in the matter.

There is also discussion of restricting ISTO's participation in
programs which conflict with existing IEEE-SA projects. Again, the
outcome is unpredictable and the IEEE-SA's authority limited. On this
issue, though, it seems unlikely to apply retroactively. In other
words, I have not seen indications that ISTO will dissociate from
BWIF.

Those of you with opinions on the issue might wish to make them heard
with your various IEEE representatives. I have continued to do so
myself.

Now, however, it is time for 802.16.3 to come to grips with the
situation we are in. Consortia come into this game with assets. We
have a lot of assets too: for instance, very broad support, a very
effective process, and a charter to write an IEEE Standard. But
ultimately, our success will be determined not by what assets we have
but by when we deliver.

I suggest that we consider the following motions at Session #9:

(1) To provisionally accept the 802.16.1 MAC as the 802.16.3 MAC and
to postpone any further MAC discussions in TG3 until 802.16.1 is
through Working Group Letter Ballot. In the meantime, TG3
participants should use the TG Review and WG Letter Ballot processes
to refine the 802.16.1 MAC to meet TG3 needs.

(2) To adopt an aggressive schedule. In the 802.16.1 Development Plan
<http://ieee802.org/16/docs/99/80216-99_05.pdf>, we wrapped up the
Functional Requirements in September, took initial proposals in
November, and had the basic content of a draft by May. 802.16.3 ought
to go   at least as fast, or in fact faster if we can put the MAC
aside.  However, the current TG3 Development Plan
<http://ieee802.org/16/sub11/docs/802163-00_03r2.pdf> shows
philosophical discussions continuing in November and January, with no
proposals on the table until March. Folks, that is a risky business;
there may not be anyone at the March meeting to hear the proposals.

I would like to see both of these issues come to a TG3 vote at
Session #9 (the Working Group has the right to override such a vote).
I know that not everyone agrees with them, but we need to make a
decision and proceed.

Roger