stds-802-16: Friday meetings at Session #10

Fine Folks of 802.16:

I'd like to clarify the situation with respect to 802.16 meetings on
Friday, 10 November at Session #10. People seem to be unsure what
business will be going on then and how to plan their trips. The
bottom line is that, for most of use, the Session wraps up at 5 pm
Thursday.

This issue has come to the forefront because the conference hotel has
become sold out on Thursday night (even though there are plenty of
rooms available earlier in the week).

Now that 802 is no longer holding Friday Plenary meetings, the
Working Groups were invited to use the meeting facilities on Friday
morning. However, since the 802 Executive Committee still meets on
Thursday night, we need to wrap up much of the WG's business on
Thursday afternoon (in time to work like crazy to get items onto the
ExCom agenda and motions into ExCom Committee mailboxes early enough
to get consideration).

Since we need a Working Group Plenary Meeting on Thursday, we may as
well wrap up all our WG business for the week then. [We could also
use Thursday only for urgent decisions and put others off until a
Friday morning Plenary; this would give us more working time on
Thursday, but, on the whole, it may not be worth the trouble. Let's
put this idea aside for now.]

So, as I wrote in the announcement, "The 802.16 Plenary Session will
open at 1 pm on Monday and close by 5 pm on Thursday. Task Groups may
meet on Monday and/or Friday mornings."

Given that the WG will have adjourned, I don't think Task Groups are
going to be in position to hold decision-making meetings on Friday. I
think the best we can hope for is to use the time to mop up the week.
Mop-up activities will mainly be centered around finalizing
documents. In particular, for the 10th of November, here is what I
expect:

*The Secretaries get their documents, including the minutes,
completed, indexed, and filed.

*The editorial teams update their documents with comment resolutions
approved during the week and prepare drafts for Working Group Letter
Ballot (we expect to launch two such ballots in November).

*Ad hoc groups plan out their next step.

*We clean up, pack the networking gear, and ship it off to Israel for
Session #11.

Finally, the ALMOST BOTTOM LINE:

*We will not hold formal meetings on November 10 (that means no
minutes and no votes).

*Friday attendance will not count toward Session #10 participation credit.

*I would like all of the 802.16 and Task Group officials (Chairs and
Vice Chairs, Secretaries, Editors) to be available on Friday morning
if possible. We will have a lot to do.

Now, the BOTTOM LINE:

*If you haven't reserved your hotel room, I suggest you do so now
<http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg10>.
*Reserve only through Wednesday night.
*If you think you might want to stay Thursday night, ask the hotel to
put you on the waiting list. There is a good chance you will end up
with a room.
*If you already have a room reserved for Thursday and think you might
not need it, please cancel it.
*If you are a voter and leave before 5 pm on Thursday, you may miss a
vote. When you pick your flight, note that the airport is 6 miles
from the hotel <http://www.hyatt.com/usa/tampa/hotels/map_tpart.html>.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope this note helps.

Cheers!

Roger