RE: stds-802-16: WirelessHUMAN report

David as usual you made some points worth considering in planning our
Wireless Human standardization efforts.
Attached find a USA Contribution that was brought in September 2000 to the
ITU-R 8A-9B that summarizes some aspects of Radio LANs(e.g., 802.11a) and
Broadband Fixed Wireless Access (e.g., Systems based on the proposed
Wireless Human Standard)coexistence in the 5.25-5.35GHZ band and other users
sharing that band, that are worth considering to include in planning our
discussions at the upcoming 802.16 Wireless Human meeting.
Demos

United States of America Contribution to ITU-R JRG 8A-9B

Title: EARTH EXPLORATION SATELLITE SERVICES (EESS)(ACTIVE) AND SPACE
RESEARCH SERVICES (SRS)(ACTIVE) SHARING THE FREQUENCY BAND 5250-5350MHz WITH
FIXED WIRELESS ACCESS (FWA) SYSTEMS, RLANs AND OTHER WIRELESS ACCESS
TRANSMITTERS IN THE MOBILE SERVICE

INTRODUCTION
On January 9,1997 the United States FCC Report and Order amended Part 15 and
made available 300 MHz in the 5150-5350 and 5725-5825MHz bands to
Unlicensed-National Information Infrastructure (U-NII) devices.  The
objective of the Part 15 amendments was to encourage innovation by
specifying minimum technical requirements for U-NII devices.
The key U-NII band-by-band requirements are that
1. In the 5150-5250MHz devices are restricted to indoor operation, with an
EIRP limit of 200mw and a power spectral density limit 10mw/MHz.
2. In the 5250-5350MHz devices can operate outdoor, with an EIRP limit of
1000mw and a power spectral density limit 50mw/MHz.
3. In the 5725-5825MHz devices can operate outdoor, with  an EIRP limit of
4000mw and a power spectral density limit 200mw/MHz.
4. If transmitting antennas of directional gain greater than 6dBi are used,
both the peak transmitted power and the peak power spectral density shall be
reduced by the amount of dB that the directional gain of the antenna exceeds
6dBi.

The reaction by the USA industry to these Part 15 changes was quick.
Manufacturers and service providers were quick to develop products and
services (e.g., Point-to-Multipoint Fixed Broadband Wireless Access) for
these bands that can give timely and cost-effective high speed internet
services to educational institutions, health care providers, libraries,
business and home users.  A number of these users in the USA are currently
being served by 5250-5350MHz PMP FBWA systems.
In 1997 the World Radiocommunications Conference (WRC '97) allocated on a
world wide-primary basis Earth Exploration Satellite Services (EESS) and
Space Research Services(SRS)  in the 5250-5350MHz.  So this band is
currently also being used on a world wide-primary basis for active
space-borne sensors, including Synthetic Aperture Radars (i.e., SAR 1-4).
WRC 2000 has invited ITU-R to conduct, and complete in time for WRC 2003,
the appropriate studies leading to technical and operational recommendations
that facilitate sharing between existing services and mobile service in the
bands 5150-5350 and 5470-5725MHz bands for the implementation of wireless
access systems including RLANs, and for Region 3/Japan FWA in the
5250-5350MHz.
KEY  ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
a)	that the frequency band 5250-5350MHz is allocated to the Earth
Exploration Satellite Services (EESS)(active) and Space Research
Services(SRS)(active) on a primary basis;
b)	that the allocation in the frequency band 5250-5350MHz will be
reviewed by WRC 2003 under agenda Item 1.5 with a view to allocate this band
to mobile service, and for Region 3 to fixed wireless access(FWA);
c)	that currently in USA the 5250-5350MHz band is part of the
Unlicensed National Information Infrastructure(U-NII) that permits operation
of FWA devices;
d)	that some administrations have proposed using the 5250-5350MHz band
for broadband radio local area networks (RLANs) in the mobile services;
e)	that the broadband RLANs in the mobile services are proposed to be
deployable in the 5250-5350MHz band world wide as unlicensed devices, making
regulatory control of their deployment density non-feasible;
f)	that there is a need to specify an appropriate E.I.R.P limit and
operational restrictions for RLANs and other wireless access transmitters in
this band in order to protect systems in the EESS (active) and SRS (active);

g)	that FWA devices can minimize their interference to EESS (active)
and SRS(active) through the permanent positioning of high directivity
antennas, and their back-off on the peak transmitted power and the peak
power spectral density reduction by the amount of dB that the directional
gain of the antenna exceeds 6dBi;
h)	that RLANs using omni-directional antennas are likely to be
deployable in the 5250-5350MHz band world wide as unlicensed devices, the
regulatory control of their indoor/outdoor deployment is not-feasible;
i)	that the excess path loss (provided by building structures) is
beneficial to the sharing of the 5250-5350MHz frequency band among EESS
(active), SRS (active), FWA, and RLANs;

POTENTIAL NEW STUDIES
It is suggested that
- The current ITU-R Joint Rapporteurs Group's 8A-9B sharing studies should
consider the protection of EESS (active) and SRS(active)based systems when
in a Region both FWA and RLANs (or other wireless access transmitters in the
mobile service) are operated in the 5250-5350MHz band, and
-The ITU-R JRG 8A-9B should also consider the EESS(active) and SRS (active)
interference issue in the context of likely innovations to the PMP FWA
technology; e.g., lower-cost, high directive fixed and steerable antennas,
and circularly polarized antennas.
It is recognised that the implications of these suggestions may require
modification to an existing Question(s) and/or modification to an existing
Question(s)

Dr. Demosthenes J. Kostas
Director, Industry Standards
Adaptive Broadband Corporation