[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

stds-802-16: itineary for Session #10

I am planning on attending Session #10 in Tampa.  Now is the time to book my
flight and etc.  Is there an itineary (802.16 specific) yet?

I downloaded a schedule for the Plenary meeting.  Is that inclusive of the
Working Group's activity?  The schedule shows activity on Sunday (11/5)
night, Monday (11/6) morning, and Friday (11/10) morning, but none of them
sounds like it's related to the Working Group.  It will be nice if I can fly
in on Monday morning and leave on Thursday night (saving 2 nights of hotel),
but I don't want to miss anything important on Sunday night, Monday morning
or Friday morning.  


Minfei M. Leng
Microwave Engineer
Clearwire Technologies, Inc.
Ph: (716)631-4584; Fax: (716)631-6080

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Naftali Chayat [mailto:naftalic@breezecom.co.il]
> Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2000 10:10 AM
> To: 'Roger B. Marks'; stds-802-16@ieee.org
> Subject: RE: stds-802-16: possible change of venue for Session #11
> Dear Colleagues,
> Given the events of the previous weeks I agree that we need 
> to postpone the
> meeting in Israel to better times. The time remaining does 
> not allow to drag
> this decision any longer. It is not reasonable to convene in 
> a place where
> people have concerns of their safety. It is disappointing to 
> discover that
> the country I live in is less sane than I hoped.
> Wishing you all peace,
> Naftali.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Roger B. Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org]
> Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 11:28 PM
> To: stds-802-16@ieee.org
> Subject: stds-802-16: possible change of venue for Session #11
> 802.16's Session #11 is currently planned for 22-26 January 2001 in 
> Tel Aviv, Israel, with Naftali Chayat of BreezeCOM as the host.
> Under the current circumstances, it appears that there are risks 
> associated with this venue. While we all hope that Israel is at peace 
> in January, I think it is prudent to plan conservatively. My concern 
> is that a number of people would pass up the meeting because of 
> concerns of their own, of family members, or of company authorities.
> Last week, I began looking into a backup plan for Session #11. I took 
> the simplest approach, calling the Regal Harvest House in Boulder, 
> Colorado, USA:
> http://www.millennium-hotels.com/pages/regal.cfm?hotel=harvesthouse
> This hotel has hosted three previous 802.16 sessions (#0, #3, and 
> #7.5). They have done a great job and have been easy to work with. 
> It's a very nice and likable facility. At our request, they developed 
> a system to accept registration fees at the front desk; this has 
> worked fine. When you are running a meeting without a treasury, there 
> really isn't any other way to do it.
> The weather is to be a problem that time of year, and the skiing 
> should be fine for those who would like a side-trip. The hotel is 
> less than a hour by shuttle from Denver International Airport. You 
> can see more on the Session #7.5 logistics page 
> <http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg075/logistics.html>.
> Although our largest previous meeting at this Hotel was for 55 
> people, they can easily accommodate far more. We have always used 
> their smaller downstairs rooms, but this time I requested the 
> ballroom, which divides into four segments; the capacities (with 
> tables) are quoted as 84 in two of the rooms and 60 in the other two. 
> They also have smaller rooms available if we need them. They are 
> temporarily holding meeting rooms for us.
> I have consulted with Naftali. Though he would be disappointed if we 
> changed our plans, he says that his company has not made financial 
> commitments.
> Although it would be nice if we could wait until Session #10 to make 
> this decision, I don't think that will be practical. No matter where 
> we meet, people are traveling long distances to get there, and they 
> need to make advance plans. I told the Harvest House I'd get back to 
> them in the middle of next week.
> While I'd love to visit Israel, I think that we should go ahead and 
> change our plans, postponing a meeting there until a more opportune 
> moment. I would like to take until next Wednesday to see what 
> everyone else on the reflector thinks.
> If you have a different venue in mind and want to commit to planning 
> a session there, then by all means make a suggestion.
> Regards,
> Roger
> -- 
> Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org>
> Chair, IEEE 802.16 WG on Broadband Wireless Access 
phone: +1 303 497 3037  fax: +1 303 497 7828