stds-802-16: loss of some IEEE 802.16 memberships due to lack of response toLetter Ballots

I have today sent the letter below to 10 people notifying them that,
in accordance with the widely-publicized 802.16 rule (and in
accordance with the 802 rules), they are no longer 802.16 Members.

The rule is in place in order to ensure active participation in
Working Group Letter Ballots, which are essential parts of our work.
Please remember that, in addition to our need for your input, we also
need to demonstrate a 50% return rate if we are to successfully pass
any draft standard on to Sponsor Ballot.

This is a painful step to take. However, application of our current
rules allow each of the 10 individuals to regain Membership by
attendance at Session #12. I hope to see them there.

Roger

I regret to inform you that your IEEE 802.16 membership status has
changed. This change is in accordance with the following Working
Group rule:

Membership shall be lost if two consecutive, or two of any three
consecutive, Working Group letter ballots are not returned or are
returned with an abstention other than for "lack of technical
expertise."

This rule, which is in accordance with IEEE 802 rules, is available
at http://ieee802.org/16/membership.html and has been widely
publicized in conjunction with the 802.16's recent Letter Ballot #2.

The 802 rules stipulate that "Membership may be re-established as if
the person were a new candidate member." However, I am willing to
follow more lenient rules, applying the general 802.16 rule that
"Membership is granted at each 802.16 LMSC Plenary Session to those
in attendance who have participated in at least two recent 802.16
Sessions, one of which was an 802.16 LMSC Plenary Session. At that
time, full membership rights begin immediately upon the request of
the qualifying potential member." This rule may enable you to
re-establish your membership upon your attendance at Session #12 in
March.

You continue to qualify as an Observer, so I have moved you to that status.

I hope you understand the application of this rule in essential to
ensure full participation of the members in Working Group Letter
Ballots, which automatically fail unless we meet the participation
quota. I look forward to having you back as a Member soon.

Best regards,

Roger

--

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov>