stds-802-16: PARs for consideration at July 802 Meeting

Three PARs (all of interest to 802.16) will be considered by IEEE 802
at the July Plenary in Portland. We may need to react to them.

As you know, new IEEE-SA projects begin with a PAR. For IEEE 802
projects, PAR need to be first approved by the IEEE 802 Executive
Committee (the "SEC"). A specific process for the 802 Plenary week is
defined. The draft PAR (plus the "Five Criteria" justification) must
be submitted to the SEC at least 30 days before the meeting and are
subject to review during the week ("Working Groups, other than the
proposing Working Group, must express concerns to the proposing
Working Group as soon as possible and must submit written comments to
the proposing Working Group and the Executive Committee not later
than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday. The proposing Working Group must respond
to commenting Working Groups and to the Executive Committee together
with a Final PAR not later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday.")

The following PARs will be considered:

(1) P802.16.2a ("Amendment to Recommended Practice for Coexistence of
Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems")
PAR: http://ieee802.org/16/docs/01/80216-01_27.pdf
Five Criteria: http://ieee802.org/16/docs/01/80216-01_28.pdf
SEC Notification: http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg01438.html
Comments: 802.16 Coexistence Study Group, chaired by Phil Whitehead,
needs to be prepared to address any comments that arrive.

(2) P802.3ah ("Ethernet in the First Mile")
PAR: http://ieee802.org/secmail/pdf00052.pdf
Five Criteria: http://ieee802.org/secmail/pdf00051.pdf
SEC Notification: http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg01434.html
Notes: This was prepared by 802.3's "Ethernet in the First Mile"
Study Group <http://ieee802.org/3/efm>. In addition to the PHY, there
is some MAC content dealing with passive optical networks (PONs).
There is a lot of discussion about point-to-multipoint architecture
(search for "P2M"). The PAR says: "There are other standards
activities with related scope, including T1E1.4, ETSI TM6, DOCSIS,
and FSAN." I think we ought to consider the relevance of the 802.16
MAC to this project. The Study Group has scheduled a tutorial on
Monday night (8-9:30 pm) at the Portland Marriott Downtown. I
encourage you to attend; we should send at least one official
delegate. Any volunteers?

(3) P802.11j ("Interworking Mechanism")
PAR: http://ieee802.org/secmail/doc00063.doc
Five Criteria: http://ieee802.org/secmail/doc00064.doc
SEC Notification: SEC Notification: http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg01451.html
Comments: Part of attempt to deal with multiple 5 GHz LAN standards
(802.11a, HIPERLAN/2, and MMAC). Goal is to develop an "interworking
mechanism" whereby "the multiple standards could possibly share
information or at least peacefully cohabit the same spectrum." TG4
should study PAR, and prepare comments if appropriate.

Roger