Re: [STDS-802-16] [LE Ad-Hoc] - Document C802.16-04/15

cc: Steve Shellhammer, 802.19

Mike's document seems to propose a Study Group that would,
presumably, lead to a new Working Group. I disagree with this
proposal, and I don't think it would be approved by the 802 EC. It
seems to me that there are two better places for the work:

(a) In a PAR for an amendment to IEEE Std 802.16.2, extending that
Recommended Practice on Coexistence from licensed bands to
license-exempt. The major drawback is that it might be hard to
consider 802.11 material inside an 802.16 project. On the other hand,
if it is making recommendations for changes to 802.16, not 802.11, it
would probably be fine.

(b) In the 802.19 Coexistence TAG. As far as I can tell, the proposal
would fit squarely within the realm of 802.19. A TAG can develop
Recommended Practices (which are one of the types of IEEE Standards).

To see what 802.19 is up to lately, see their proposed 802 rules changes:
        http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg05254.html
which will be discussed on July 11.

See also their tutorial:
        http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg05250.html
which is Tuesday, 6:30-8 pm (just before our LE ad hoc meeting).

They have scheduled meeting time for most of Tuesday and Wednesday.

Of course, a Study Group has a PAR as an output, not an input.
However, there is a decision that would need to be made in advance,
because a Study Group is either a WG Study Group or an Executive
Committee Study Group. For direction (a), we'd want a WG Study Group.
For (b), we could have an 802.19 Study Group or, I would suggest,
just an 802.19 effort without the formality of a Study Group. Mike's
proposal is a type (c), which would seem to imply an Executive
Committee Study Group. This would look like a competitor to 802.19,
which I don't think the EC will support.

Roger