[STDS-802-16] 802.16 mesh mac scheduling

Hi,
Could someone tell me the objectives and the philosophy behind the use such type of Request/Grant/Confirm Information Element.
Could some one give an example where we can see how an applcation/mac layer translates its requirements of resources into range and persistence of minislots.
When we take the example of the well known applications such as FTP, telnet , video, VoIP, http, ... except the case where we have a constant bit rate in which case we could do the translation easily.
Also if we consider the ISO/Internet layers architecture, we could say that the IP layer ( for Best Effort and Non Real Time Traffic ) will pass packets to the mac layer ( once each time ). When the mac layer receives the packet, it must requests ressources in term of range/persistence of minislots. what are the rules that allow the mac layer to request a range/persistence of minislots given the size of the packet, especially that there is no service flow establishment or CID?
could some one help me to understand this?
Best regards
Ramzi TKA