[STDS-802-16] followup on IMT-2000 proposal status

Dear 802.16,

I'd like to provide a brief update regarding the IMT-2000 proposal
status.

(a) Recall that the WG approved, in Letter Ballot #27
   <http://ieee802.org/16/arc/802-16list2/msg04317.html>,
a liaison statement to ITU-R as a followup to input received from
Working Party 8F.
The subject was IEEE's proposal to include IEEE 802.16 in the
IMT-2000 recommendation.
The specific issue regarded draft revisions of Recommendations ITU-R
M.1457, M.1580,
and M.1581.

The statements from WP 8F had informed IEEE that WP 8F would its
output to ITU-R
Study Group 8 (SG 8) for adoption.

(b) Subsequently, the IEEE 802 EC approved a ballot regarding the
liaison statement:
   <http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg09418.html>
IEEE then submitted a slightly edited version to ITU-R:
   <http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/L80216-07_038.pdf>
IEEE also submitted some administrative documentation.

(c) SG 8 met in Geneva on 25-26 June. It did _not_ agree to adopt the
draft revisions
of M.1457, M.1580, and M.1581 as forwarded by WP 8F. Instead, it
decided to schedule
a "Special Meeting of Working Party 8F" in Korea on 29-31 August
2007. Based on the
outcome of that meeting, it is possible that revisions of those
recommendations,
including IEEE 802.16, may be submitted to the Radiocommunication
Assembly (RA) for
possible approval. The RA meets the week of October 15.

I plan to attend the "Special Meeting" in Korea. The final meeting
announcement
is not yet available.

For details from ITU-R on the outcome of the SG 8 meeting, see:
   <http://tinyurl.com/3333eg>.

(d) The IEEE 802.16 WG may wish to prepare contributions toward the
Special
Meeting. Session #50 would provide a good opportunity.

Regards,

Roger