Re: [STDS-802-16] [TGm] Contribution list

Title: RE: [STDS-802-16] Ballot ID for TGm Call for Comments

All TGm participants,

I know these tag applications on the comments and contributions is not usual for us, and I know that they are a bit of an inconvenience, but I do believe that they are very necessary.

Essentially TGm has three different types of material being submitted for Session 57: SDD Cleanup; 7 RG outputs; 8 new topics. As expected, and as observed in past sessions, the comment and contribution response on these calls is substantial, over 600 comments and nearly 300 contributions. Big numbers.

Brian and the TGm leadership had anticipated this high volume. Consequently they had previously determined to break TGm into two parallel meeting tracks in Kobe: PHY and MAC.

So, the question then became how to identify and assign comments and contributions for processing in these two tracks in Kobe, how to appropriately plan the agenda and time allocations to resolve comments and contributions as expeditiously as possible, with maximum opportunity for participants and, most importantly, with maximum opportunity to accept SDD text necessary to maintain our project plan.

Hence the tags.

So, while I know this may have been a little confusing for participants tags seemed the simplest and most effective way to obtain the necessary categorization information so that we can plan for our most effective outcome in Session 57.

While you are grumbling you might want to consider the work of Avi to construct the extremely useful Excel spreadsheet with contribution identification, categorization, and submittal validation, including providing missing tags. And think of Shkumbin and Carl who are spending endless hours filing the missing category tags from the so many comments where authors omitted the requested tags.

At 802.16 we work hard to protect participants from the drudgery and tedium of process so that we can focus on technical material when we gather for Sessions. But sometimes we do have to ask that participants make some effort to facilitate process. Use of the Commentary Tool is a very good example of that. Adherence to the Contribution template is another. I hope all will understand the necessity of adding this slight increase in participant requirement, in this particular instance. I cannot say that we will need to do this every Session. But you may see similar additional process requirements, as the work load demands, from time-to-time.

Your continued patience and understanding is appreciated.

Thanks,
Phillip Barber
Chief Scientist
Wireless Advanced Research and Standards
Huawei Technologies Co., LTD.

Rapporteur Group Chair Coordinator, IEEE 802.16 TGm