Re: [802.19] 3650 MHz Minutes - way forward

The impact of any system on its neighbors depends on not only the protocol design and implementation of the system in question, but on the protocol design and implementation of the neighboring systems.  Thus, system A can have one throughput impact on System B, another on System C, etc., even if System B and System C are co-located.

Building on what was said at the teleconference, the important thing to consider is the percentage decrease in the throughput capacity of the systems being simulated.  An optimal point to consider as a design goal is for all systems to experience an equal percentage drop in throughput capacity.

This goal can be incorporated in the protocol design of the systems in a community if information related to this throughput metric is shared between systems, and used to implement appropriate evasive action.  What we have here is essentially a distributed optimization problem, so it is important that each system has the right information to make local decisions that improve the common good.

The channel occupancy metric is a blunt instrument for measuring coexistence problems because different systems use different PHY technology.  This means that for each combination of system type, we could potentially determine a different coexistence sensitivity to channel occupancy.  Even still, the metric is useful in helping us identify which combinations are the most problematic if we do an exhaustive search.

What gets tricky is when we make adjustments to the protocol design and implementation of systems.  Any modification would require a complete redo of our simulations, since the channel occupancy metric will have a new impact on coexistence.  For example, if a system disables certain tones when it experiences high levels of interference, two systems can share the same band by subdividing it in an FDD fashion.  A similar modification could take place in the time domain by synchronizing transmission opportunities.  Without this disabling, the systems might interfere.  In both cases, the channel occupancy has not changed.

Mind you, we could modify the metric to account for percentage of the band occupied, but the real issue is not just how much of the band is occupied by a system, but where in the band a system occupies the channel, and when it is occupied, in relation to all neighboring systems.

To address your issue of zero throughput systems that impact neighbors, the throughput capacity metric should be studied.  A zero throughput system will reduce the throughput capacity of neighbors.  Its throughput capacity will also be affected by its neighbors.  We can therefore study the phenomenon you mentioned with this metric, and use it as a tool to better understand how well the community is getting along.

Harry