Simple corollary: Why is the 802.11n task group including detection of legacy 802.11 devices that don’t understand 802.11n beacons when determining when to allow 40 MHz operation, but doing nothing to detect existing Bluetooth devices?

Due to the large number of Bluetooth devices deployed, I would expect a good Bluetooth detection mechanism in 802.11n devices to have a positive indication most of the time. 40MHzIntollerant bit would be set most of the time making 40 MHz in 2.4 GHz a useless feature. The current 802.11n plan is to avoid current 802.11 systems until they are all replaced with 802.11n systems and then start using 40MHz channels at will regardless of whether they interfere with other 2.4 GHz users like Bluetooth. Just trying to create a fair environment for sharing of 2.4 GHz spectrum.

John

On 8/18/08 1:57 PM, "Craig Warren" <cwarren@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am getting confused because the discussions in the meetings we have been having all are doing speculation about future .11n scenarios.  John are we divorcing the solution aspects developed by Bluetooth for some of these reasons, if so it seems rather one sided.

CW

From: John Barr [mailto:john.barr@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 11:51 AM
To: Craig Warren; STDS-802-19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.19] comments on the 40MHz 11n/Bluetooth test plan

It is what is in the market now. Future versions may be better, but all of the legacy devices need to be considered as well.  John

On 8/18/08 1:30 PM, "Craig Warren" <cwarren@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The test plan looks like a great start. One thing I really want to  make a point of ( I did not want to distract the current conversation at the  end of the telecom) is that the headset depicted for SCO and A2DP combo is a  MOT S9. This headset is a 2.0 I think that we should ensure that all testing  be done with 2.0 BDR or 2.1 EDR/BDR headset versions. 2.1 will naturally be  much better due to the much higher packet types used but older 1.1 A2DP  headsets are available and should not be used. EDR 2.1 headsets are gaining  market availability and this will greatly improve the performance of  coexistence should testing be done with both Bluetooth  versions?

Craig Warren