Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [802.19] Straw Poll Survey Results

Mariana::

Two comments:

1. These polls were taken without any sort of agreement on the definition of coordination.  This lumps together those that believe that a shared goelocation database constitutes coordination, with those that believe an independent control channel is required for coordination.  I see nothing decisive in such a poll.
2. With the PAR scope you suggested it will be difficult within the 5 Criteria to show how it is "Substantially different from other IEEE 802 standards", as P1900 is specifically looking at this issue, and both 802.11 and 802.22 have to deal with this issue in their own projects if they have any hope of success with this unlicensed spectrum. And it seems to me that on the call two weeks ago there were still question regarding whether this group will write one PAR or many PARs, and whether those PARs will be directed at a project or projects within 802.19, or for the other groups specifically working on other TVWS PARs, namely 802.22 and 802.11.

This equation still has two many unknowns to try and force a solution out of it.

Rich