Re: [802.19] 3GPP LAA note

G’day Steve

I suggest that 802.19 talk about :

·         UL LBT

o   IEEE 802 did not reach agreement on this topic for the 3GPP LAA Workshop because many IEEE 802 folk rejected the idea of LBT for PIFS on UL

o   It appears 3GPP are now going down this same direction for which there was significant disagreement in IEEE 802

§  ie they are proposing less LBT on the UL

o   IEEE 802 probably need to agree on a position

·         Multichannel access

o   802.11 has a multichannel access mechanism based on the use of a primary channel

o   It appears LAA might have a different mechanism

o   It is possible that this different mechanism may give LAA an advantage over 802.11

o   IEEE 802 probably need to agree on a position

·         ED

o   This is an open and ongoing issue in 3GPP

o   IEEE 802 have an agreed position

o   But 3GPP  appear to be going down a really weird path

§  RAN1 shall identify adaptation rules for LAA to adaptively lower the maximum energy detection threshold to ensure co-existence with other RATs including Wi-Fi and good performance of LAA

·         Technologies that ensure co-existence with other RATs including Wi-Fi, using alternative means not requiring lowering of the maximum energy detection threshold, are not precluded.

§  At least the following shall be considered in defining the adaptation rules of the maximum energy detection threshold:

·         Antenna gain and number of transmit antennas

·         Coexistence with LAA in absence of other RATs including Wi-Fi

·         The maximum rated EIRP of the LAA transmission point within unlicensed band

·         The maximum EIRP within the transmission burst following the LBT procedure

·         The transmission bandwidth

·         Measured ambient noise floor

·         Deployment scenario: Indoor, outdoor

·         Estimated Load on the operating channel

·         Feasibility of the co-existence test

·         Single global solution

·         Control frames

o   There is a move in ETSI BRAN to allow control frames to access the medium without LBT with a 5% duty cycle

o   This might be OK, but that depends on the definition of a control frame

o   Many 3GPP folk would consider a Beacon to be a control frame

It would be great if someone else decided to lead the discussion … J

Andrew