Re: [802SEC] IEEE Virtual Events Team -- can we leverage them?
- To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
- Subject: Re: [802SEC] IEEE Virtual Events Team -- can we leverage them?
- From: Paul Nikolich <paul.nikolich@ATT.NET>
- Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 14:26:25 +0000
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=pass email@example.com header.s=s1024 header.b=6v+IAanT; spf=neutral (google.com: 184.108.40.206 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of firstname.lastname@example.org) email@example.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=mime-version:user-agent:reply-to:references:in-reply-to:message-id :date:subject:to:from:dkim-signature; bh=9xId1G4B7J3HcQIjFq1FYCvID6zUI30m6gLBGCJ5JIY=; b=R8DOxeeMz4HoIMDVP6EfQdMPOMdIg42DQ0mHwTJ1S0tHPCQXFkiU1XjbCu3DLORlMe Se1NqVkCgGyoe1LmY4VRs+HGd+XV7thENF6p3iUhiORu8a81NtNW8mDhFTZLo9neQ2Kd 4jMQSm9uxgkemFeRnB/VBxFMq3G9JJdRYRNGL6Ak8bLxgS6q/pN9ekgrNWQhwr9afEI1 WogQuf1E7VZ2RFDL0rDMATE4m6r8kjn/1EtzZMuEMAxzszxkCF+jGoq5/jciGSaZZDaD nW+0uRYxolye4UeiklPDWlKw+G+GfrLTXcat43w+KuH/mtrv4hNknzSp1EW9IpQTiLsV h/Mg==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1588775195; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=RkWcEpZRnFTFEPHD0dCKMd3FM+zrD1WiF4C1Q8prJ0kI5RLjfoiBUx1UHQqGOM943k nMSLjuo4z7ozgCbI86MuFpU85iy1QSN56rHOAm06EzkP5TuV5SfeJr7SeaVY/JpBht/H eVBwTo7B8/uB4XlZWYSCqt1bxGMHaYR0inVwut+QOSqdhcwm07VUUiKHgRUZsMUmT8xv e1gr+1M0JGQGsDYRtuVKytFNsE6IwT7rrByicrK/g/5kkHQI8PloyaF2PoVN6+BZSomx BIcKQW+uldrpOb3cuIx4E6Vx1m/LVYAXZHDtd+VoImX3Nsc0cUXwXSsc5B5Rc0u08XMe HKuw==
- Delivered-to: mhonarc@GROUPER.IEEE.ORG
- Delivered-to: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
- Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 emlpav01.ieee.org 046EQiqr000846
- In-reply-to: <BYAPR04MB467991C5C584894D11BD0F5CBEA40@byapr04mb4679.namprd04.prod.outlook.com>
- List-help: <https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=STDS-802-SEC>, <mailto:LISTSERV@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG?body=INFO%20STDS-802-SEC>
- List-owner: <mailto:STDS-802-SEC-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-SEC-subscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-SEC-unsubscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- References: <emfbb7139a-729d-4d15-9e4a-ba9c90cca02c.ref@laptop-5pjqb9o6> <emfbb7139a-729d-4d15-9e4a-ba9c90cca02c@laptop-5pjqb9o6> <BYAPR04MB467991C5C584894D11BD0F5CBEA40@byapr04mb4679.namprd04.prod.outlook.com>
- Reply-to: Paul Nikolich <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- User-agent: eM_Client/7.2.37929.0
You hit the nail on the head -- duplicating the experience of a live in person standard development meeting virtually will be difficult, perhaps impossible.
I just received an email this morning from John Wettlaufer
, IEEE Volunteer Engagement and Technology Solutions Director who is leading discussion on this general topic. Via a separate email, I will make introductions -- he has several questions that will help him better understand 802's unique requirements.
------ Original Message ------
Sent: 5/5/2020 8:14:03 PM
Subject: RE: [802SEC] IEEE Virtual Events Team -- can we leverage them?
Paul – There are a lot of ‘virtual events’ that are focused on presentations and information transfer, without action. Ours are more ‘virtual committee work’, and therefore tend to involve more interaction, questions, debate and consensus
building. The slide deck appears to be oriented towards the information-transfer model. If they don’t bring it up, you might discuss the different meeting types with the group. It is a lot easier to participate in a webinar, where Q&A are more orchestrated,
than in debate, where it is essential to build mutual understanding and find common ground. Have they touched on that? (we spend a lot of time discussing mechanics of voting, etc., but with large groups, I find it very difficult to mirror the effect of a
long line in the queue and the ability to look around the room and see if the bulk of the group is actually interested, building consensus requires something more than just the presentations and mechanics…
I'm participating in the IEEE Technical Activities Strategy and Management meeting series this weekend. A common theme is the need to transition face-to-face conferences/meetings
to virtual conferences/meetings.
The key individuals identified in the presentations are
To unsubscribe from the STDS-802-SEC list, click the following link:
To unsubscribe from the STDS-802-SEC list, click the following link: https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-SEC&A=1