[STDS-802-11-REG] Published research on DSRC band channel sounding and modeling

Hi All:

As I mentioned on our call, there are two papers widely cited with channel sounding results in the 5.9 GHz band. Here are the references.

1) GM-Carnegie Mellon: "Mobile Vehicle-to-Vehicle Narrow-Band Channel Measurement and Characterization of the 5.9 GHz Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC) Frequency Band," L. Cheng, B. E. Henty, D. D. Stancil, F. Bai, P. Mudalige, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 25, Issue 8, 2007, pp. 1501-1516

2) Toyota-UC Berkeley: "Measurement and Analysis of Wireless Channel Impairments in DSRC Vehicular Communications," I. Tan, W. Tang, K. Laberteaux, A. Bahai, IEEE International Conference on Communications 2008 (ICC '08), pp. 4882-4888

In addition, Mercedes in Palo Alto did some research with Karlsruhe Inst. Technology in Germany. Their paper includes the following empirical model of a highway environment.
Path loss exponent = 2,
Nakagami fading "m" parameter is a function  of distance with:
  • m=3 for d<50,
  • m=1.5 for 50<d<150,
  • m=1 for d> 150
This model is found in section 4.3 of the following paper (note: other discussions in this paper regarding EDCA are not relevant for this modeling discussion):
Mercedes Benz North America R&D - Karlsruhe Inst. Technology: "Broadcast Reception Rates and Effects of Priority Access in 802.11-Based Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks," M. Torrent-Moreno, D. Jiang, and H. Hartenstein, 1st ACM Workshop on Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks (VANET), 2004, see especially section 4.3

--
John Kenney
Principal Researcher

Instead, go to http://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-11-REG and then press the LEAVE button.