[STDS-802-11-TGAI] A suggestion to clean up the list of IANA groups that 802.11ai should consider -- i.e., ditch roughly 40% of those as inadequate (was: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAI] modp group question)

Hi Tero:

Thanks for the feedback: If the big group has as cardinality a "safe prime" of the form p=2*q+1 (where q is prime as well), as you suggest, then the subgroup's size q is indeed known. I could not find this in the RFC though.

Some comments:

1) Security (a).
Indeed, one could use small-size t-bit exponents in a subgroup G of size q of Zp, where p=1+2*q. However, it may lead to quite biased distributions that would not have been there if the private exponents would have been random integers in the range [1,q-1], as is nowadays (2013) "the norm". As an example, with a 3072-bit discrete log group Zp and 256-bit exponents, the key K:=g^d has as pre-image all 256-bit integers x and y for which x*y=d. Hence, the number of preimages depends on the factorization of d (e.g., if d is a prime number in the range {512-bit}\{256-bit}, this set would be empty; if d is a 128-bit prime, it has two pre-images {(1,d), (d,1)}, etc.). With drawing private keys from the entire set [1,q-1], one gets a flat distribution of the integer d in the range [1,q-1]. Whether this is really exploitable is another question of course. However, this seems to be a red flag to me and might suggest that perhaps this 2003 RFC might be somewhat dated? Are there any papers that have studied the non-standard DLP problem that seems to be underlying the suitability of the groups suggested in this RFC document? (I know those with random exponents from [1,q-1], but none where one simply truncates and "hopes for the best".)

2) Security (b).
All discrete log groups Zp, where p=2*q+1 and q prime, have 2 as generator. This may easily leak info on the lower-order ~dozen bits of the computation of the ephemeral key contribution via side channel analysis (after all, 2^t (mod p) does not require modular reduction if t< len(p)).

3) Performance (in context of 802.11ai's charter).
Use of one of the "enormous size" IANA groups, leads to signatures (r,s) of size ~ len(p) + t and public keys of size len(p) and signature verification requiring scalars of full-size len(p). For 802.11ai FILS, use of 2048-bit primes with DH key agreement would probably have cost of roughly 1/8-th RSA-2048 no-CRT decryption or 1/2 an RSA-CRT-2048 decryption. If one uses this with signing ("no TTP case"), the (at least) two signature verification cost roughly at least 2x a full 2048-bit RSA no CRT decryption or 8 times an RSA-CRT-2048 decryption. This begs the question whether supporting these huge discrete logs groups with 802.11ai would be in the interest of fullfilling its charter ("F" in FILS was supposed to stand for "Fast").

Given the above, it seems to serve 802.11ai well to
a) ditch all discrete log groups based on Sophie-Germain groups, since possibly having security problems (presumably #1, #2, #5, #14-#18 of the IANA list); b) ditch the elliptic curve groups over composite extension fields, that have long ago been ditched elsewhere (ditch #3, #4). In short, this leaves only the so-called NIST curves (and, possibly, #6 -- although I am not sure who would practically plan to use this with 802.11ai).