Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAI] document 11-15/1243r0

  Hi Peter,

  “circles” are not an accurate characterization. While SIV was discussed in the past there
was no technical opposition when it was proposed that FILS return to SIV.  We’re revisiting
a discussion that was not resolved on technical reasons.

  There is a lot of text that deals with how to construct, maintain, and process counters. It
is the subject of quite a few CIDs (and they’re not all mine!). This submission addresses
these technical complaints by simplifying the text, thereby simplifying implementations,
and enhancing the overall security of FILS. I’m not really sure what the downside is to SIV.

  There are legitimate technical reasons to not use GCM and CCM as AEAD handshaking
schemes. These legitimate technical reasons are addressed by SIV. And there is no
technical reason to oppose SIV.

  Keep in mind that originally SIV was the FILS AEAD scheme. We haven’t selected GCM
(or CCM) each time. So it’s not really going in “circles”  it’s returning to normalcy.

  regards,

  Dan.