[STDS-802-11-TGAK] Addressing

Donald,

One item we might discuss in tonight’s session has to do with some confusion on usage of the 4 combinations of FromDS/ToDS.

I thought from prior discussions that we had agreed that a GLK STA can use either the 4 Address frames or the combination matching his role, i.e., on Data frames an AP always sets FromDS and non-AP STA always sets ToDS.

And they can use either 4 address or A-MSDU, when SA or DA is inconsistent with their native 3 Address frame definitions of A1/A2/A3, but they were not free to select from all 4 formats willy/nilly.

In looking for the text that was troubling me I find the following contradictory text.

Page 5, Lines 37-41:

The four address frame format (with both From DS and To DS set to 1) may be used in GLK transmissions of data MPDUs. The use of the four address frame format is required for such MPDUs if the SA, TA, RA, and DA are all different from each other. The three address frame format may be used if SA equals TA and/or RA equals DA as described in 8.3.2.1 (Format of Data frames).

Page 56, Lines 34-36:

GLK transmissions of MSDUs that are sent as a consequence of an MA-UNITDATA.request with an individual destination address that is in the same BSS use any of a 3-address frame format, a 4-address frame format or an A-MSDU format.

If these are just text we all agree need to be repaired based on progress from D1.0, I’m good, but otherwise I think its an area that needs to be discussed.

Thanks,

David