From: Jarkko Kneckt <jkneckt@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 6:56 PM
To: Cariou, Laurent <laurent.cariou@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: STDS-802-11-TGBE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] [PDT/TBD/MAC] - MLO Discovery- Discovery procedures including probing and RNR

Hi Laurent,

               thank you for your submission.

               Three comments:

Comment 1:

                35.x.x Active scanning for an EHT non-AP STA
Option 1: If an EHT non-AP STA sends a Probe Request frame, it shall not include in the Probe Request frames it transmits any element, except that:

Option 2: If an EHT non-AP STA is actively scanning a channel and sends a Probe Request frame, it shall not include in the Probe Request frames it transmits any element, except that:

JKN: I agree that a  STA should include minimum set of parameters in probe request.
I do not understand very well the difference of the option 1 and 2. Can you clarify?
[LC] the difference is minor. Option 1 means that this applies to all probe requests, including unicasted probe requests, while option 2 limits this to probe requests sent in the context of active scanning (where it is sent to A1 broadcast address, even if A3 is directed to a particular BSSID))

               - Rather than using probe request frames in associated state, the STA should have Robust MLD Query request and response to securely query information in associated state. With this approach, we would not need to use probe requests in associated state.

Comment 2:

35.3.4.2 MLD probing

An MLD probe request is a Probe Request frame:

-       with the Address 1 field set to the broadcast address, the Address 3 field set to the BSSID of an AP, or with the Address 1 field set to the BSSID of an AP, or with the Address 1 field set to the broadcast destination address, the Address 3 field set to the wildcard BSSID and the SSID field or the Short SSID element set to the SSID of an AP.

JKN: 6 GHz allows two SSIDs, one in SSID and other in Short SSID to be requested. This wording seems to allow only 1 SSID. It would be better to allow SSID and Short SSID both have an SSID.

Proposed modification:

with the Address 1 field set to the broadcast destination address, the Address 3 field set to the wildcard BSSID and the SSID field and/or the Short SSID element set to the SSID of an AP.

[LC] makes sense. I’ll make the change

Comment 3:

The requested information for the requested APs in the MLD probe request is complete if no Request element or Extended Request element is present in the Probe Request frame. The requested information for the requested APs in the MLD probe request is partial if a Request element is present in the Probe Request frame, and the Requested Element IDs field in the Request element determines the list of elements that are requested to be included in the MLD probe response.

JKN: The requested element has been on normal Probe Request for a very long time. It has not been widely used. I have doubts that it will not be in use in the Future. STAs do not know precisely the parameters they would like to get and if they get all information, they do not need to question again.

I can understand if STA requests updated information since the last received Change Sequence of the received Beacon. This kind of information query is more logical.

[LC] I agree that Request element is not widely used. I expect btw that partial probe request will not be used a lot either, reason why using these elements does not bother me.

While the use case for complete info is clear and useful. We may want to discuss more the scope of how we want to use the partial request, as what we agreed so far is not very clear. Even the Change Sequence use is a bit convoluted as such changes happen infrequently and the STA can easily collect the info on the other link.

               Cheers,

               Jarkko