[STDS-802-11-TGBH] Proposed next steps for TGbh

All,

I propose the following for our next steps in TGbh, to find a way forward.  On our next two calls (Thursday evening (U.S. time) this week, and Tuesday morning next week), I suggest the following agenda (the same on both calls, to allow those around the world equal opportunity to attend):

  • We’ll start with a review of the two comparison documents that have been created:
    • TGbh proposals: 11-22/296 (being updated by solutions’ authors)
    • TGbh solutions analysis: 11-22/343 (not uploaded yet, being reviewed by authors off-line, to be posted later today)
  • Have some quick Q&A if anyone has questions about the proposals
  • Run straw polls:
    • A straw poll for each solution, asking, “How much priority do you put on continuing work on this proposal?”
    • Options on the straw poll are “H(igh), M(edium) or L(ow)”
    • With these results, I’m hopeful that we’ll find a small number (2 or 3) proposals that seem to have broad support to continue at a high priority, and not a lot of low priority votes
    • NOTE: I do _not_ intend to include any sort of “abstain” or “more information needed” on these straw polls.  If, after all the time we’ve spent on these, there is still uncertainty or more information needed, then that proposal must not be getting enough interest to drive that discussion to have happened by now.  If anyone really feels they can’t choose between H/M/L, then I suggest either don’t vote at all, or maybe vote “M” as a placeholder for “not high priority to work on this, but I don’t want to drop it either”.
  • As mentioned above, we’ll run this same process/same straw polls on both of the next calls, so we can compare the results across both subsets of attendees.  (Yes, I realize that gives a slight advantage to those who can attend both calls, but again I am hopeful that the results will be relatively clear giving us some direction, and we don’t need to get into such nuances.)

Let me know what you think.  My intention is to guide the group toward a small number of options, to review in detail and prepare for votes/straw polls to include into a first working draft.

Thanks.  Mark

P.S., I believe the list of proposals is: