From: mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx <mark.hamilton2152@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 2022
412 2:05
To: Yang, Zhijie (NSB - CN/Shanghai) <zhijie.yang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Request for motions on upcoming TGbh telecon (April 12)

Thanks, Jay,

I’ll get it added to the agenda.

In terms of the changes to the use case, I think it might be helpful to the group to understand the requirements that result from the other group/standard, with a little more detail.

(Note that I think it was mentioned that the “other group” is the WFA, and WFA Specifications are generally in the public domain and can be discussed/reviewed in IEEE ? I/you would need to double-check for any specific document, but it is probably okay to reference.)

à<Jay> According to my understanding, WFA specification is not the public materials, it may cause some confidential concern if we talk WFA specification directly in IEEE group. Anyway, I can provide some reference so that 11bh number can check it by your own channel. The recommended solution on use case 4.1 can refer to VBSS proposal in Easy mesh R5 specification.

The last part is news to me, if I understood:  “we already have the solutions standardized by other group.”  So, are you saying that not only is the RCM problem an issue for the WFA spec, but the WFA have a solution already standardized as well?

  If that’s the case, then we are getting in a “grey area” in terms of how much the IEEE should try to capture any of that (a third party protocol has a problem, and has already found a solution) ? but we can discuss at the task group.  More information would be helpful, again, to those members who don’t know any details here (myself included).

à<Jay> Let me clarify. The previous conclusion on use case 4.1 is “ Nice to have” though, if can find sufficient privacy controls (opt-in, etc.) ? maybe recommendation?  Maybe if a solution to another problem happens to solve this?”  , 11bh group can recommend a general solution like VBSS to address such concern, which is already mentioned in use case 4.26 of issue tracking document(R30) and in easy mesh R5 as well. But 11bh group need provide a solution to address the identification issue on probe request frame with RCM if we provide that recommendation.

On the second case, the previous conclusion on use case 4.8  is “It should also be noted that passive scanning is becoming more common, so reliance on identifiable probes for client steering has other problems, already.”  Actually, we can use Beacon request/report frame exchange to trigger a STA perform active scan and send probe request frame  for STA steering purpose to address such concern, which is already standardized in Easy mesh(multiple AP specification) R2 and widely used in current multiple APs product. The Beacon request/report frame itself are defined by 802.11 specification many years ago. And thus, the previous conclusion is not correct.  Therefore,  11bh group need to reconsider the RCM issue on the probe in post association.

In conclusion, as I offline talk with some members, I don’t have any reference on the proposals, but I hope the proposal adopted by 11bh group can address the RCM issue in those use cases that is already appeared in current market/product.

Mark