Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Pre-association identification (was: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Mishandled TGbh motion vote)

Hi Graham, all.
Thank you Mark for good questions. I added my responses to the comments.

On Jul 25, 2022, at 4:56 PM, G Smith <gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Mark,
Will have a go at responding:
Graham

From: Mark Rison <m.rison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2022 5:48 PM
To: G Smith <gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Pre-association identification (was: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Mishandled TGbh motion vote)

Hello Graham,

Thanks for these pointers.

Use Case 4.1 is labelled  “Pre-Association Client Steering” but the description has changed so much that it is now not that clear, and I may not the best  expert to describe it correctly as the description therein does not seem to describe the title.  However,  the idea, as I understand it, is that a mobile probes the ESS and the ESS/BSSIDs recognize the mobile and respond such that the mobile is steered to the “best” BSSID.  This can be done before association.

JKN: To my knowledge, the pre-association steering operation that requires identification of a STA is not described in 802.11 specifications. 802.11 defines general broadcast level steering, where AP  delivers in Beacons and probe responses broadcast out-of-band information by using Reduced Neighbor Report (RNR). This information may help scanning STAs in hurry to select the next channel for scanning and it may help to find some APs faster than other APs.

The pre-association steering discussed 802.11bh aims to provide STA specific steering. The AP needs to identify the STA and then know how to steer the identified STA to the correct AP. I think this is problematic in many ways:
- STA has no knowledge that it is providing its identity to the correct AP. There is no authentication of the AP to the STA.
- I do not know how this pre-associated STA steering is done:
- Some examples suggests that AP is not discoverable for this identified STA, but I thinks this is not possible. STAs will passively scan all available APs, so hiding a BSS from the identified STA is not possible.
- To me the only STA specific pre-association steering operation seems to not allow association requests from the AP. This will be bad for the STA, because the STA does not know why the association was rejected. It would be much better solution to allow the STA to associate and then perform STA specific steering with BTM frames.

Can't we just use BTM for client steering?
BTM uses action frames, post association.  Usually for when the AP is shutting down. Also allowing the Association sort of defeats the objective. If the STA can be steered before association then why not?

I think, the situation where AP is closing down does not need STA specific indication. Any broadcast signaling will be sufficient.
- In 802.11be we have broadcast signaling for affiliated AP that is closing.
- On legacy APs, I remember that there is broadcast signaling that AP is not accepting associations, but I need to double check the details.

As discussed before, the broadcast pre-association steering does not need STA identification, so this should not be considered as pre association steering use case.

Use Case 4.2 is based upon Parental control but generally also covers cases where the mobile may be identified from the Association Request (or directed probes) such that it is allowed (or not) to associate and/or certain settings applied. Conversely, non-recognized mobiles can be dealt with.  Also we have similar Use Case 4.3 Home Automation, such as, for example, the lights are switched on.

Why does this need to be done prior to association; why isn't
waiting for the 4WH acceptable?
Again, I understand present apps (prior to RCM) did it pre-association, so why not now?  The idea maybe to stop someone associating, not kick them off once associated.

JKN: The associated STA can send and receive data. In non-associated state, data is not moving and this is not good.
I think it is perfectly OK to wait for 4way handshake.

Use Case 4.8 talks about “A managed WLAN network may desire to detect unapproved client stations operating in its service area, even when they do not (cannot) connect to the network”, the converse being Use Case 4.9 “A managed WLAN network may desire to detect unapproved client stations operating in its service area, even when they do not (cannot) connect to the network”.

OK, but why, specifically?
Hey I’m just the messenger.  Need an Enterprise expert for this

JKN: good question, I do not know.

Use Case 4.6 Grocery Store notifications talks about pre-recognition.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying there are no use cases for pre-association
identification.  I'm currently in the "undecided" camp, and trying to decide
which side's arguments I find more persuasive!  So

a presentation that hopefully will explain things better vis a vis “pre-association”, the PAR, reassociation, steering, privacy

JKN: Dropping the pre-associated use cases would be good way to simplify and speed up 802.11bh. So far I am not seeing real need for these use cases.

Cheers,
Jarkko

will be helpful.
I will try

Thanks,

Mark

--
Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français
Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600