If TGbh moves in the direction of creating a non-MAC MAC that keeps all the flaws of the legacy MAC I do not think this is PAR conformant in the sense of "privacy". But what we could discuss is for instance if we want a recommendation on how often to change a MAC address during discovery or similar - I'm aware of several parallel discussions (including at the IETF) about the prospect of "rapidly changing MAC addresses breaking <things>", but it's unclear to me what "rapidly" means and whether any instances of such "rapid changes" have been observed in the wild. I don't see that we would have a technical motivation for being concerned with changes that occur less often than, say, once per minute.

best regards,

Amelia

On 2022-07-28 22:43, G Smith wrote:

I can see Thomas’s point but the problem a lot of us seem to be facing is that we are not the folks who have been directly affected by RCM.  I, for example, simply assumed that as the MAC address was being used as the identifier, certain applications/uses did not work anymore or were rendered useless due to RCM.  Now are we saying that, further to those in 11aq, some rules might be required for RCM to even work in some important areas, such as “steering” -  but, as Thomas says, is that within TGbh to fix?

We have, for example, on our plate Use Cases such as “pre-association steering”, “ allowed/disallowed steering”, “Parental controls”, “managed network steering” and maybe some others.  It would be nice to know in detail how these worked pre-RCM and to understand how important or not the recognition or pre-recognition of the non-AP STA is so that we can see if Device-ID solves it, or not.  I, and others, took the approach that if the MAC address can still be the ‘identifier’, then applications that used it before, should be able to use it again.  The big difference being that only the particular BSS/ESS should recognize that address.

So, I think we do have to at least find out how certain applications worked “pre-RCM” and what they achieved.  If we stick to only the Device ID scheme then if there were apps that identified the non-AP STA pre-association, then we have not covered them.  That should be our mission, it is not up to us to judge or, as Dan often said, tell them how to do it better.

Hence at this stage, I am simply asking if those with the knowledge can describe clearly what the applications in question really did and how they did it, then we can see if we need to add another scheme or schemes to the TGbh Draft.

At the moment I am reading several comments that seem to be saying that these applications do/did exist, they were useful, and we should be covering them.  So once again, I am asking for some clear details, from those who know, how these apps worked.  As our Chair opined, It is not up to us to determine the merits and then decide if they are good applications or not, it is up to us to produce scheme(s) that enable these and possible other future applications to work.

Thanks, and hoping that those with actual knowledge of these applications can now chip in with “how they did it” and “why now they don’t work”.  Of course, I could have a stab at how they probably worked, but I don’t want to do that.

Thanks

Graham