From: Jouni Malinen <jkmalinen@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2022 6:02 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] ID encoding

"Who allocated the ID?": I'd expect AP to be one doing that similarly to what is done in MAAD and there is no need for this to be some "permanent thing", i.e., it can change on every successful association to an ESS. In theory, other options would be doable as far as the encoding mechanism is concerned, but I'd agree this would get to all the debate about having to define under what rules such values would be assigned and how they could be unique enough, etc., and as such, it would be simplest to just use the AP/ESS-assigned approach.

"Does this have any real advantage over MAAD in the TGbh context?":
This depends on what are the pre-association use cases we are trying to address. Sure, extra complexity is not needed for some cases like client steering where it does not matter much, if at all, if an attacker would be able to clone an ID and use it. However, it might matter if people are really considering of some access control related items and operations like detecting an owner of a house arriving at the house and then taking some actions based on that (before an actual association), say opening some doors/locks or increasing thermostat level, etc. Similar concerns would apply to parental control like use cases where a shared passphrase/password is used but the MAC address alone is used to detect whether the station can use a network or some services at some time. I do not personally think we should be addressing such use cases in P802.11bh, but if there is possibility of those being something that P802.11bh is going to be used for, there may indeed be need to provide significantly more robust protection than is possible to do with MAC addressed based schemes. And if we do include a mechanism that does not provide sufficient protection for foreseeable use cases, we should clearly describe the constraints of the mechanism(s) in the draft and warn against its use in cases were it is not sufficient and could result in security vulnerabilities.

I would also point out that if we are planning on addressing only such pre-association use cases that do not have any kind of additional protection needs, I'm not sure we would need even the MAC addressed based mechanisms like MAAD. Most RCM implementations today use a random, but not changing, MAC address for each ESS. This should be sufficient to cover a large portion of the pre-association use cases in a very similar manner to how the globally unique MAC address was used. Diagnostics can use this (most STA UIs today seem to provide easy access to that persistent per-ESS random MAC address) and so can client steering (with potentially guidance to non-AP STA to consider using the same address for active probing when targeting a connection to a specific ESS). Similar consideration could be done for the waking-up-sleeping-APs use case that MarkH mentioned in Bangkok. And also for some presence detection things if they do not concerns about cloning attacks. Are these cases really broken if the STA is using a persistent per-ESS random MAC address?

Regarding IRMA, if I understood it correctly, it is also using the MAC address field in the header to provide identifiable-to-an-ESS information with an additional information element providing guidance to how to interpret the MAC address. One reason for my proposal to consider options that do not use any rules on the actual MAC address is to avoid potential non-AP STA implementation concerns by completely separating TGbh mechanism from the way the STA decides which random MAC address to use. That can make things quite a bit more convenient to implement and in some existing devices, will likely allow the mechanism to be implemented while a specific protocol/rule determined or AP assigned random MAC address might prevent implementation (in particular in cases where multiple parallel operations are performed with different MAC addresses).

- Jouni

To unsubscribe from the STDS-802-11-TGBH list, click the following link: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__listserv.ieee.org_cgi-2Dbin_wa-3FSUBED1-3DSTDS-2D802-2D11-2DTGBH-26A-3D1&d=DwIFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=Z3s2jA8rgZoSco8f4kvDx_nOirz2RA_bah_KFKOseb8&m=rF5maon6TCA_Q8KeWLA5hc06-TOtpck4NOGmmOa0R9g&s=CdlkeI8dLeMu4IfeVpfmLCbX6nCdzwJZuNoDHW4Qo20&e=