Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Next steps for TGbh (next call, Feb 21)

“RRCM is a simple solution”

Hmm…that’s quite a statement.  I’m not sure everyone understands what it actually entails.  Let me summarize it:

Each time a STA associates it sends a 68 octet (yes, 68 octets!) in a KDE in msg 2/4.  To generate these 68 octets, the STA needs to carry out  256 bit KDF calculations plus a 256 bit hash (Tag), plus a 128 bit hash for every MAC address it wants to generate (claim to fame is that can generate a number of MAC addresses)

The AP then uses the 68 octets to calculate the 256 hash (Tag) plus a 128 bit hash to determine each MAC address indicated.  It then stores these derived MAC addresses for the next time.  Hopefully both STA and AP now have the same MAC addresses stored for next time.

Next time a STA appears it uses one of these stored MAC Addresses.  The AP looks down its list to see if it has this MAC address stored, and then it can recognized the STA.  So the STA associates and again needs to do all the calculations  to generate a new set of MAC addresses and send the 68 octet KDE so the AP can again generate the same addresses to store for the next time.

Is this efficient – NO, 68 octets in a KDE is not trivial.  Note for example, that IRM does exactly the same thing using just 6 octets.  Why give ‘instructions’ to the AP so it can calculate the MAC addresses, when it is just as secure to simply send the address?

Is this any more private – NO.  Idea is that by generating more than one MAC address it could use them for probing.  But TG has all but disregarded this as being needed (also MAAD and IRM can simply generate 3 addresses for only 18 octets).

Does this require significant work  - YES, 3+ hash calculations on the STA and 2+ on the AP every time.

“RCCM is a simple solution”?  depends I guess on what you think “simple” means.

Still I must be wrong as RRCM was clear ‘favorite’ in the Straw Polls, I just hope those supporters actually know how it works.

Graham