Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] TGbh language for Annex Z (WAS: Agenda uploaded - plans for call)

Hi,

I think we already have Draft 0.2 with a solution for Device ID and its use in association. This seems reasonable outcome of 802.11bh to me.
I am not sure are PASN and other additional features even included in PAR, because PASN is introduced when the random and changing MAC addresses was already in use.
Also adding multiple non-interworking solutions just adds implementation complexity.

I would like to get a protected management request and response signaling that could assign the Device ID to the associated STA.
This operation was discussed earlier in 802.11bh, but it was dropped for some reason.

802.11bi has many technical requirements to encrypt PMK ID or SAE ID in order to avoid STA tracking on these elements.
In 802.11bh there is no mandatory requirement that AP changes Device ID every time, so non-protected Device ID may enable STA tracking.

The device ID may be used in network with all kinds of security settings. There is no guidance of preferred or supported network security modes for the 802.11bh.
If the Device ID is transmitted clear OTA, then eavesdropping STAs to learn the Device ID. If the network has a pre-shared key that is known by the eavesdropper, then the eavesdropper may use the Device ID and identify as the victim STA.

Likely we can solve these challenges by limiting Device ID use. One simple limitation is to send Device ID only in encrypted frame or as an encrypted component of the frame.

Cheers,
Jarkko