Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] discussion on PASN ID figure 12-0b

PASN is starting to dominate the device ID text.

Hence, thinking about it, and trying to be logical, I see 5 options:

  1. Adopt the scheme that an AP always provides a PASN ID and a device ID (as per Li Yan’s proposal).  Does involve big additions to text and requirement to always save a temporary PASN ID and a device ID, even if STA never uses PASN or uses IRM for PASN.
  2. Just use a PASN ID when using PASN and accept that there is no correlation between device ID and PASN ID.  i.e., when using PASN, the identification is linked only to PASN (and location).  Simple addition to text.  If STA never uses PASN or keeps PASN and location as a separate task (or uses IRM), then this is simple additional text.
  3. Always use an opaque device ID for association, and authentication using PASN.  Involves computations and forces opaque even if STA never uses PASN (or uses IRM).
  4. Stick to device ID, but if used for PASN, accept that the device ID will be changed every authentication.  Simple, but sort of destroys the idea that the device ID is a permanent thing.  But again, if STA uses IRM….
  5. Just don’t recommend device ID mechanism for PASN at all.   IRM works seamlessly for PASN.   If we consider that IRM should be used (or will in practice be used) for PASN then say in a Note “device ID is not recommended for use with PASN”, and/or just adopt #2 or #4 above.

Where do I stand?

I would personally go with #5 and then adopt #2 or #4, but I will not object to #1.  If we go with #1, then we should also accept Okan’s new Annex so we don’t need the figures in the main device ID text.

Just my thoughts,

Thanks

Graham