Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] CID 359 "Natural Binary"

Dear Mike, Dear all,

At 2021-11-10T15:07+0100 M Montemurro wrote:
I went through comment resolutions and interpretation requests for REVma, REVmb, REVmc, and REVmd. I have not seen anything that justifies any confusion about this statement in the standard.

the original IEEE 802.11 standard had various mistakes that were
resolved over many years. For example, IEEE 802.11-1997 mentions an
ESSID without specifying what it is. Another example is the term WDS
that was removed with the IEEE 802.11-2016 version.

I am under the impression that the standard has similar, old paragraphs
that have not received a lot of attention. Therefore, it seems to me
that the "age" of some text is not necessarily related to the text being
especially mature or correct.

Personally I have not seen any justification to convince me that
this text needs to be changed. It sounds mostly like individual preferences, which in my opinion justifies a change. Therefore, I don't see any reason to make any changes.

In my view, less is more. If the standard specifies decimal values to be
"coded in natural binary unless otherwise stated," and the standard
doesn't specify what "unnatural binary" is ;-), and if there is a common
understanding how decimal values are converted into binary values (with
LSB first), it seems advisable to at least delete the term "natural."

Since the standard defines the terms little and big endian (and uses
them in several places) one could alternatively state "Values specified
in decimal are represented in binary using the big-endian format and
transmitted LSB first."

Best regards,

Guido