S1G and usage by the rest of 802.11.   Bit 15 is currently common across all 802.11, which leaves room for some new usage of that bit that could apply to all 802.11
inclusive of S1G.  Based on that, I'll switch to one of the reclaimed bits.  How about bit 12?

- Henry

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 11:52 AM Stacey, Robert <robert.stacey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Apologies, (cut and paste error). I mean assigning bit 15 as “BIP Compact Encapsulation”

-Robert

From: Stacey, Robert <robert.stacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2023 11:50 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [STDS-802-11-TGM] ANA review for 23/1777r1 (S1G Beacon Protection Text)

Hello All,

I reviewed the potential for assigning bit 15 of RSN Capabilities as “S1G Beacon Protection Text”.

Bit 15 is currently marked as Reserved for ANA. I believe the intent behind the reservation was to allow future expansion. However, we have since precluded this with the element design (hence the RSNXE). So there is no reason the bit cannot be allocated.

For completeness, there are other options. A number of bits have been released and I don’t see a reason for not reusing them (e.g., bit 10). I marked these as “Reserved” (as opposed to “Available”) out of legacy compatibility concerns, but I don’t think that applies here.

Here is the current ANA status:

Status

Value

Name

Description

Group

Notes

Allocated

0

Pre-Auth

WG

Reserved (was allocated)

1

TGme

Was: (WG) 'No Pairwise'

Allocated

2

PTKSA Replay Counter

WG

Allocated

3

PTKSA Replay Counter

WG

Allocated

4

GTKSA Replay Counter

WG

Allocated

5

GTKSA Replay Counter

WG

Allocated

6

Management Frame Protection Required

TGw

Allocated

7

Management Frame Protection Capable

TGw

Allocated

8

Joint Multi-band RSNA

TGad

Allocated

9

Peerkey Enabled

WG

Reserved (was allocated)

10

TGme

Was: (TGn) 'SPP A-MSDU Capable'

Reserved (was allocated)

11

TGme

Was: (TGn) 'SPP A-MSDU Required'

Reserved (was allocated)

12

TGme

Was: (TGmb) 'Protected Block Ack Capable (PBAC)'

Allocated

13

Extended Key ID for Unicast

TGmb

Allocated

14

Operating Channel Validation Capable (OCVC)

TGmd

Reserved (for escape)

15

Reserved for ANA