[STDS-802-11] Permitted discussion related to Qualcomm's submission containing a Licensing Agreement

Dear 802.11 members,

Document https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/15/11-15-0546-00-00ah-proposed-comment-resolution-for-cid-7012.docx

has been placed on mentor by Rolf de Vegt. It includes what is termed a “Licensing Commitment”.

I have asked the IEEE PatCom to indicate what discussion may or may not take place about this document.

The outside legal counsel for the standards board replied,  and the text of that reply is in document 11-15/591

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/15/11-15-0591-00-0000-answers-to-some-possible-ip-questions.doc

The advice includes: “In summary, a member of a WG may not discuss an LOA at a WG meeting or “present” an alternative assurance to the WG.”

The use of WG also covers subgroups of the WG.

I therefore rule out of order any discussion of the terms of the “Licensing Commitment” or presentation of it in any form to the 802.11 WG.

I have not been instructed to remove it from Mentor,  so it stays.

Best Regards,

Adrian P STEPHENS

Tel: +44 (1793) 404825 (office)
Tel: +1 (971) 330 6025 (mobile)