Re: [STDS-802-11] IETF individual draft of interest- 11ah and 6lo

From: *** IEEE stds-802-11 List *** [mailto:STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Yongho Seok
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:19 PM
To: STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11] IETF individual draft of interest- 11ah and 6lo

Hello Dick,

Thank you for pointing out an error. You are correct. Unfortunately, 11ah does not specify EPD.

[RR>] That can change you know!  You are worried about MSDU size all over the place in the 11ah draft.  Makes NO sense to waste 6 octets out of 500.  I recommend that the 11ah draft be changed, and leave the IETF document alone in this regard. They got it right!

:^)))

Cheers,

RR

As per a guidance of Dorothy, I have sent a list of several errors including EPD to authors of that IETF document.

Thanks a lot,

Yongho

Dorothy,

I note that according to this draft, 11ah is specifying EPD!

" 3. Overview of 802.11ah

3.5 Link Layer Control The Logical Link Control (LLC) layers works as the interface between higher layers, for example IP, and the 802.11 MAC. It supports higher layer protocol discrimination via the EtherType value utilizing the EtherType protocol discrimination method (EPD) defined in IEEE 802-2014 [IEEE802-2014]. Examples of EtherTypes are 0x0800 and 0x8DD, which are used to identify IPv4 and IPv6, respectively."

While 11ah should most definitely be specifying EPD, searching the latest 11ah draft I find no mention of EPD. Were you at a presentation on this topic?  Can you shed any light on this apparent inconsistency??

Cheers,

RR