From: Sebastian Schiessl <sebastian.schiessl9@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 6:12 AM
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11] Fwd: [STDS-802-11] FCC 5.9 GHz NPRM: updated comments
To: <STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  :
Dear all,

I have some further comments on the new Rev. 7 of the document.

Section 4.1: On the sufficiency of 30 MHz of spectrum:
  • There is a missing unit: "100 vehicles" is not a density. Vehicle density should be XXX vehicles *per square-mile* or *per km^2*. US imperial units are probably best here.
  • These statements should probably backed up by a reference ASAP. I believe Dick has mentioned that he intends to add those. In particular, we must cite a study about the maximum vehicle density (under which assumptions does this hold?), and some more clarification about the statement that "DSRC technology already in the current generation of smart phones", because I don't think my phone supports .11p.
  • Even though I agree that saving lives should be the top priority and is certainly a priority for Congress, I don't think that we as engineers are entitled to state what the goals of Congress are, unless they were stated in some document that we cite. Removing at a minimum the last 7 words of this section does not weaken our technical statements. Instead, by sticking only to the technical arguments, we probably strengthen our position as neutral experts.
Section 6.1:
  • The second paragraph of this section is just "hanging there", because it belonged to the section on Vehicle-to-Pedestrian (V2P) whose heading and first paragraph got somehow deleted in the editing process. The blue comments from Feb. 14 also refer to this deleted V2P section.
  • I propose to delete this abandoned second paragraph in Sec. 6.1 and make a new V2P section, which is more closely related to paragraph 11 of the NPRM, and should thus become Section 5.2 (see below). I tried to address some of the comments made on Feb. 14th and also added a new reference.
  • There was a comment that we should not mention/compare with C-V2X, but I disagree with that. We compare DSRC and C-V2X in Section 5.1, and we should point out the scenarios for which DSRC / 802.11p/bd is technically better than C-V2X to allow the FCC to make a fully informed decision. I also believe we can confidently say that adding a second modem will result in additional costs, without having to back that up.
Proposed new section 5.2 (this is based on Sec. 4.2 from Revisions 0-6)

On the suitability of C-V2X for Vehicle-to-Pedestrian Communications (V2P)

In its waiver request, the 5GAA stated that “C-V2X enables direct, peer-to-peer mode communications […] between vehicles and pedestrians, cyclists and other vulnerable persons (“V2P”) […]”. This statement is false: C-V2X would not “enable” V2P, but instead make V2P vastly more complex compared to existing DSRC technology. Mobile phones of cyclists or pedestrians are not compatible with the C-V2X PC5 sidelink interface for direct peer-to-peer communication with vehicles at 5.9 GHz. Despite strong similarities, the cellular 4G/5G interface and the C-V2X PC5 interface cannot be integrated into a single radio interface because most pedestrians would not be willing to sacrifice cellular data connectivity in order to receive V2P messages. In order to enable simultaneous cellular data connectivity and V2P connectivity, a second radio interface for C-V2X PC5 would be required, which will be very challenging to integrate due to cost, power and size constraints for each of the many components in modern smart phones.

On the contrary, DSRC enables V2P communications at significantly lower cost and complexity: Most mobile phones are now equipped with IEEE 802.11ac/ax WiFi modules. As DSRC is based on IEEE 802.11 protocols, the entire digital baseband processing could be performed on this existing hardware without significant changes. Furthermore, the analog radio frontends already support channels up to 5835 MHz and could be easily expanded up to 5925 MHz, which would already allow direct communication between vehicles and phones. Furthermore, prototype developments indicate that additional changes to the analog power amplifier designs could even allow high transmit powers of up to 760mW for IEEE 802.11p transmissions originating from mobile phones without reducing the power efficiency of WiFi transmissions [New Ref 20]. Therefore, the mobile phones of pedestrians and cyclists could be easily modified to directly communicate with vehicles based on DSRC technology, warning each other about their presence and possible collisions even at large distances. Moreover, DSRC-based V2P and regular WiFi can reside on the same radio interface, which can be switched to V2P mode when the user is on the road and to regular WiFi connectivity when the user is at home or at work. Thus, DSRC technology will in the future allow direct V2P communications using inexpensive mobile phones without the need for additional hardware. [Optional: We therefore believe that DSRC can provide V2P communications at very low cost, so that DSRC has the highest potential to protect the most vulnerable road users like children and elderly persons, who often cannot afford the most expensive smart phones.]

[New Ref 20] Choi, Pilsoon, et al. "A case for leveraging 802.11 p for direct phone-to-phone communications." Proc. 2014 Int. Symp. Low Power Electronics and Design. ACM/IEEE, 2014.

Best Wishes,
Sebastian