Re: [STDS-802-11] 11me/D1.0 CID 1479 (Beacon frame size)

Dan,

I think receivers should process all valid frames (within reason). Of course!

But where is the normative requirement that they have to, in order to be compliant with the IEEE 802.11 spec? I don’t see any specific statement anywhere, and apparently neither does Mark H. I’m open to correction; does anyone have a specific page and line number?

Perhaps we should add one in REVme? It’s a bit late for devices that have already deployed, but by all means let’s fix what we can.

However, many of the later amendments have much longer maximum frame sizes. Table 9-34 says that HE PSDUs have a maximum size of 6,500,631 octets. Seems like a lot! Is there really an implied requirement that all HE STAs shave to be able to receive PSDUs of this size? I don’t see any such requirement anywhere (again, open to correction on this).

To reiterate on the proposed note that started this discussion, it seems fully reasonable to expect (and require) all STAs to be able to receive 2304 octets. I’m against adding a note that discourages transmitters from sending frames of this length.

Regards,

Sean