Re: [STDS-802-11] Proposed resolution for 802.11me Rev 1.0, CID 2346 on MC-OOK

Hi Mark,

                You have highlighted that we are discussing two topics:  Terminology (the name) and Requirements.  I agree that it is good that we do not mix them up.

Terminology

                I agree with Minyoung that multi-carrier on-off keying (MC-OOK) makes much more physical sense than wake-up radio on-off keying (WUR-OOK).  Changing the name from “MC-OOK” to “WUR-OOK” does not affect the requirements topic and only replaces a good name with a poor name.

In May Minyoung and I recommended the following comment resolution to address the comment which was on the Terminology.

CID

Comment

Proposed Change

Resolution

2346

MC-OOK is a strange definition.  Is MC-OOK symbol different than regular OOK symbols, particularly the definition of MC-OOK OFF symbol sounds rather strange.

please clarify how MC-OOK is different than regular OOK, and is the spec mandating this OOK symbol must be generated by Multiple Carrier? If not, consider removing this definition.

REJECTED

The commenter asks a question and does not provide specific recommended changes to the draft.

To answer the question asked by the commenter: Unlike traditional on-off keying (OOK) IEEE 802.11ba uses multicarrier on-off keying (MC-OOK) where instead of using a single carrier the modulation uses multiple carriers.  In particular it uses 13 subcarriers as specified in the standard.  The use of multiple subcarriers provides a 4 MHz bandwidth which is significantly wider than would result from using a single carrier.   This is wider bandwidth is very beneficial in regulatory domains (e.g. ETSI) which have power spectral density (PSD) regulations, since the wider bandwidth allows for higher transmit power, improving the link budget.  The specification does not mandate a specific implementation of the MC-OOK waveform, but provides several recommendations.   The commenter seems to indicate that the standard should not include terms for features where the standard does not mandate a specific implementation.  However, the standard includes many terms for features where the method of implementation is not mandated in the standard.  A simple example is the term “energy detection (ED)” which is used throughout the standard, but the standard does not mandate a specific implementation method for measuring the energy level measured at the receiver.

Requirements

                You have brought up this different topic of requirements.  I agree with Minyoung that the reason the Task Group did not place a “shall” requirement on the exact method of constructing the MC-OOK waveform is that it does not affect interoperability.   There is a “shall” requirement on the Spectral Mask in subclause 30.3.12.1, which is controlled by the MC-OOK waveform. There is a “shall” requirement on the on-off power ratio in subclause 30.3.12.4.

                The original comment proposed to change the name “MC-OOK” which I oppose.  I also do not see any need to add any other requirements since the standard covers the necessary requirements for interoperability.

Regards,

Steve