[STDS-802-11] CCK should it be Deprecated?

Dear 802.11 members,

In 802.11me we are discussing Clause 16 and CCK.  There is a proposal to make CCK “deprecated”.  This is the first step to making it “Obsolete”.

Please look at the following presentation and I would be very interested to hear any viewpoints or comments.

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/22/11-22-1868-00-000m-cck-deprecation-discussion.pptx

The presentation makes the case that there is no basic need for CCK as the OFDM 6 and 12Mbps are more than suitable to be used rather than CCK 5.5 and 11 Mbps, and that there is no need for the extra modem that is required.

Anyhow, please do read the presentation and please do comment either to the reflector or directly to me.

Thanks

Graham