From: Abhishek Patil <appatil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2023 8:34 AM
To: STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11] REVme: resolution for CID 3000

Hi All,

Thank you for the discussion during today's REVme call. We made some more progress on the topic but could not reach consensus on a mutually agreeable text.

After a few iterations between different members, the group seemed to have stabilized on the following text for the transmit side [replacement to line 36 page 574 in REVme D2.0]:

"In a field or subfield, values that are reserved for that field or subfield are not used for transmission."

The group came-up with the following text for the receive side [second sentence on line 36 page 574]:

"Upon reception of a reserved value in a field or subfield, the behavior is undefined."

However, there is a debate on whether or not we need to specify anything for the receive side. For instance, there are occasions where the behavior at the receiver is clearly defined (i.e., to ignore the reserved value) and therefore, it is incorrect to say the receive side behavior is undefined. Personally, I feel, we should delete the sentence and leave the behavioral aspects to the pertinent clauses (which is already the case at several instances in the spec).

I'd like to hear if there any further suggestions for the text on the transmit side and opinions on deleting the text for the receive side.

Regards,

Abhi