From: Kiernan, Brian G. [mailto:brian.kiernan@interdigital.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 6:02 PM
To: 'Mark Klerer'; 'Roger B. Marks'; stds-802-16-mobile@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-802-16-mobile: Re: a two-PAR solution

We can define things any way we want, but there are some ITU-R definitions of fixed, nomadic and mobile with which we should be consistent.  I have extracted them below.  Note that nomadic operation draws a distinction between being able to move and communicating while moving (that is mobile).

Mobility capabilities of the terminal: fixed, nomadic (may be used in different places but the terminal must be stationary while in use), mobile, restricted mobility (e.g. within a single cell), etc.

Nomadic wireless access (NWA); Wireless access application in which the location of the end-user termination may be in different places but it must be stationary while in use.

Mobile wireless access (MWA); Wireless access application in which the location of the end-user termination is mobile.

Also, the original ITU-R IMT-2000 Requirements Recommendation (M.1034-1) listed the following six classes of relative speed (speed between base and mobile - the base station was allowed to be mobile):

-         stationary (0 km/h)

-         pedestrian (up to 10 km/h)

-         typical vehicular (up to 100 km/h)

-         high speed vehicular (up to 500 km/h)

-         aeronautical (up to 1500 km/h)

-         satellite (up to 27000 km/h)

Ultimately, for purposes of evaluating the different terrestrial air interface proposals, the numbers were simplified to:

-         pedestrian (3 km/h)

-         typical vehicular (120 km/h)

-         high speed vehicular (500 km/h - rural environments only)

Overall, these are not that different from Mark's classifications, except there is no speed distinction drawn between vehicular urban and vehicular highway. (It's actually very common to do 100 km/h or higher on the highways through NYC.).  I suggest we drop that distinction and have a single "typical vehicular" of 120 km/h.

Brian