From: Itzik Kitroser [mailto:itzikk@runcom.co.il]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 5:32 PM
To: Vladimir Yanover
Cc: stds-802-16-mobile@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-802-16-mobile: Handoff/Sleep-mode Ad Hoc working document

Dear Vladimir and all,

Supporting make-before-break mode can be not very trivial when related to
simultaneous data reception from different BS.
Although, it does not necessary mean that make-before-break imply such
mechanism only.
The Make-before-break philosophy can be used for context transferring (e.g.
handoff to target BS) while not interrupting the data session from the
Serving BS, and achieving "smooth" session transition from serving to target
BS (which can be supported with mobile IP). I believe that such ideas can be
quite easily employed without a need to duplicating packets, and/or
timestamping PDUs for synchronization. Please also notice the
differentiation of such "logical" make-before-break handoff and "physical"
soft-handoff a-la CDMA style, for example.
I'll try to upload a contribution on such suggestion.

Regards,
Itzik.