Re: stds-802-16-mobile: Handoff Ad Hoc group

Title:
Philip hi,

You wrote:

>Your answer is very true for traditional, fully managed networks, both fixed
>and mobile.

Agreed.

>But restricting distribution of dynamic network performance
>information precludes distributed hand-over decision mechanisms which likely
>will be an important supported network topology.

The current HO decision mechanism is already "distributed" in the sense that the
MSS receives a prioritized (and possibly filtered) list of acceptable target BSes
from a centralized decisionmaker before choosing a BS according to the Rating
and its own criteria.

I would suggest a qualification that might make a Beacon-less approach more
satisfactory to you:

   - the requirement that all BS neighbors be informed about an impending handoff
    (as indicated by HO_Req/Rsp) could be eliminated  (or made optional).

   - The MSS can then perform HO_Req/Rsp even without
   the handover event being immediately imminent.  The MSS will then know
   that "if I need to move,  BSes X and Y are available".  If the MSS then decides
   not to HO, no harm done.

   - This mechanism is similar to the beacon approach because it enables the MSS
    to know of its network conditions on a (minimally) ongoing basis.

>The answer is to support
>both managed and unmanaged networks by increasing the available, optional
>TLV elements in the beacon.  As Itzik points out, that is the crux of my
>argument.  For those not wanting to support distributed decision and
>unmanaged architectures, don't use those TLV elements.

I've tried to indicate why I think that the Beacon is unnecessary (and even
undesirable from the operator standpoint).  Additionally, it seems to lead
into adding network-management-type complexity into the MAC layer.

Regards,

- Jeff Mandin