[STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [Handoff] Enhanced Handover Re-entry & Inter-Sector Handover

Dear all HO ad hoc group:

How are you?

As you might have already noticed, I uploaded two contributions regarding the optimized HO re-entry (check C802.16e-04_105_Enhanced Handover Re-entry.doc) and the sector ID and Inter-Sector HO (check C802.16e-04_105_Inter-Sector-HO.doc).

Although it was uploaded about 18 hours ago, some might complain about the late upload.

So here I explain briefly about Samsungs position on the optimized (actually abbreviated based on the Backbone Communication Level definition) HO re-entry and the Inter-Sector HO along with the sector ID so that those who have no time to review the whole documents.

1.       Optimized HO re-entry (the related contribution is C802.16e-04_105_Enhanced Handover Re-entry.doc)

HO network re-entry procedures for each BCL (Backbone Communication Level)

i)                    BCL = 1

If the BCL = 1, the indication of HO and the MSS original SBC profile is transferred to the target BS, hence there is no need for the MSS to send SBC-REQ. However, the target BS still needs to send SBC-RSP.

Not to waste additional BW, we propose that RNG-RSP can append the corresponding SBC-RSP TLV encoded information at the end of RNG-RSP.

ii)                   BCL = 2

If the BCL = 2, either the security key can be reused, or the MSS and the target BS would already have those by pre-authentication. Hence, we can skip the PKM procedure all. But they still have to do REG. Only the required element for REG-REQ for the MSS is the HMAC to authenticate the message. However, it already has the HMAC tuple. (Essentially, for the MSS to add and upload the message in the re-entry takes a really long time (at least 4 frames upon the calculation). Hence, we need to abbreviate this procedure as much as possible.) For the MSS in order to prevent to send another message, the only way is to unite the message in the essential one (RNG-REQ). Hence, as I mentioned ahead, if the RNG-REQ carries the HMAC tuple to authenticate that it is the MSS original message, the problem is solved.

The proposed scheme is: 1) RNG-REQ carries the HMAC tuple and 2) the information to be transported in REG-RSP would be appended at the end of RNG-RSP.

iii)                 BCL = 3

The HO re-entry itself is the same as the one of BCL = 2. However, the only difference in communication is that they can resume communication without resetting the ARQ state.

Another Component: Indicating the BCL in message

To perform the Re-entry proposed, the MSS and the network should know which BLC can be supported.

The serving BS should negotiate the BCL and let the MSS know at BSHO-RSP or BSHO-REQ.

And at the target BS should confirm at RNG-RSP that the HO re-entry performed at which BCL.

In the contribution, these explanations are made in detail and the changes are proposed.

2.       Sector ID and Inter Sector HO (the related contribution is C802.16e-04_105_Inter-Sector-HO.doc)

I know there have been intensive discussions on Sector ID so far. Samsungs position on Sector ID is that a sector ID should has the following functionalities: 1) to be able to distinguish the sectors in the multi-sector BS and 2) to provide the additional information to reduce the synchronization delay.

Currently, no messages of the 802.16 system inform the MSS of which the preamble is used by a BS or a sector. In HO, another major delay generating process is synchronization. The long delay in sync and scanning is due to no knowledge of the preamble index used by the neighbor sector/BS. Obviously, the preamble index of the neighbor sector can be an ID to distinguish a sector among many.

Hence, we add the preamble index list in the MOB-NBR-ADV. However, it is not necessary to add in DCD since DCD is for the sector that MSS are connected currently. In addition to MOB-NBR-ADV, to indicate the sector in HO procedure (this is necessary for the rest of the sectors to conserve the BW by not allocating unnecessary fast ranging IE), the HO messages have the sector ID if necessary.

3.       Another comment in FA ID

The biggest obstacle to design an FA ID is 802.16e system does not specify the specific BW that the system would be implemented. I think it should be as short as 1 byte. Actually, the standard does mention it, but it is too broad (2~66 GHz).

What I wonder is if it is possible that the FA ID is just made as long as 1 byte and not specifying the exact meaning of the FA ID bit by bit. I hope we can discuss it further later on.

Thank you for reading the long email and see you in the CC.

Best regards,

Jung-Won Kim, Ph. D.

Jung-Won Kim, Ph.D.

Senior Engineer