From: Mary Chion [mailto:mchion@ztesandiego.com]
Sent:
Tuesday, August 03, 2004 5:07 PM
To: Mcginniss, Dave S [NTK]; STDS-802-16-MOBILE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [Harmonization] Question for FBSS

Dave,

I think the issues you raised are cruicial ones. I would like to try to address some of them here.

1. H_Add and H_Delete are parameters included in DCD message. They are set by the network and broadcast to all the MSS in the BS.

2. Active set is part of of contribution for FBSS and SHO and it is adopted in the 802.16e.

3. You are correct, there should be a limit in the number of  BSs allowed in the active set. It can be done by one of the two ways:

    a) Since the BS is involved in the HO process, the BS can limit the number of BSs in the active set without changing the standard. When the MSS send MOB-MSSHO-REQ message to the BS, the BS will send the new active set information to the MSS in MOB-BSHO-RSP message and BS can limit the number of BS in the active set in the message. It is stated in the standard that "the actual Active Set chosen by the MSS shall be a subset of those listed in MOB_xxxHO-RSP and shall be indicated in MOB-HO-IND".

    b) We can specify the maximum number of BSs in active set in the standard. But, this might not be necessary.

4. An Anchor BS is defined as one of the BSs in the active set. The role of Anchor BS in Fast BS Switching is to be the only BS communicating with the MSS. What's added in the standard is only addressing the over-the-air interface. I'm not sure if I fully understand what you mean by excluding a BS to be the anchor BS. For FBSS, an anchor BS is necessary for the HO scenario. I agree with you, if the same data are sent to all BSs in the active set BS instead of just to the anchor BS, there will be a major impact on backhaul capacity (especially for services with high speed data) and it might not even be an accpetable implementation.  This is an important issue for network design. However, I don't think we can address this issue in 802.16e since 802.16e only defines the over-the-air interface. This should be resovled at system implentation.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Regards,

Mary