Re: [STDS-802-16-MOBILE] [Harmonization] MBS Harmonization

All,

I was surprised to find my name in contribution H80216e-04_005. It makes
wrong impression that I basically agree with its content.
I never saw this document before publication and was never asked to sign on
it. So I cannot be responsible
for content of the document as well as for statements expressed in the
document from the name of Alvarion.

I find this way of actions inappropriate and request to remove the document
from 802.16 WEB site or at least to publish another version without my name.

My view on multicast services is the following.
1. Requirements
- ability to receive MC content while in normal operations [not Idle]
- ability to employ power saving, at least while in normal operations
- MC content will be available only to authorized MSSs

Ability to receive MC content while in Idle Mode should be a separated
capability.

2. To satisfy above requirements actually no additional MAC features needed.
What we need is few informative sentences:
- Some of DL Service Flows are for distributon of multicast content
- While the MSS is in normal operations mode [not Idle], all procedures are
performed as in 6.3.13 [establishment of connections], usual
authorization/security stuff
is applicable. The MSS may go to sleep and be wakened by  TRF-IND with
reference to the CID associated with multicast service

3. Ability of MSS to receive MC content while in Idle mode should be a
separated capability. In this case authorization should be supported by
upper layers.
For example, the content may be encrypted and only authorized MSSs will have
the key. Mapping of MC SFIDs onto CIDs shall be known to all BSs
in the network and to all relevant MSSs [mechanism is out of scope of 16e]

The only issue remains power save while in Idle mode. To provide that,
MBS_MAP Information Element may be useful, but I would make it more
general: allow any CID to be encoded including Basic CID of some MSS. Then
such IE would signal to relevant MSS[s] that there will be no DL traffic at
the CID within certain time interval [so the MSS may save power, go for
scanning etc.] Accordingly the name should be changed [e.g. to "Idle
interval IE"].

Other concepts are more less covered by existing constructions. For example
virtual connection / "MBS Zone" functions are covered by Service Flow
concept

Vladimir

This mail was sent via mail.alvarion.com