RE: stds-802-16: Published: ETSI BRAN HIPERMAN Liaison Report

Roger and Marianna,

I am very happy about the fact that ETSI BRAN HM is selecting the IEEE 802.16
MAC.  I am much less happy that they are only using the OFDM options as PHY
working assumption.  I don't think the IEEE 802.16 members present at the
meeting tried hard to have HM select the WHOLE of IEEE 802.16a and converge to a
single worldwide standard.  They preferred to restart the unproductive SC vs
OFDM fight.

On page 5 of Marianna's report, it is mentioned that 90% of the companies
supported the OFDM solution at ETSI BRAN HM, it should read 90% of the attendees
(9 persons in fact, hoping that it does not preclude of the European interest in
FBWA).  The selection of a baseline at that particular meeting should not have
been done without a special notice to all ETSI members.  My understanding is
that the IEEE 802.16 MAC is officially selected having been supported by all,
the 802.16a OFDM PHY is only a working assumption, having failed to reach
consensus.  I don't think the "majority" of the attendees tried hard to support
the whole of IEEE 802.16a solution; they seemed to prefer to compromise with
BWIF to come up with a portfolio of OFDM options.

Regards,

Remi