RE: stds-802-16: 802 Rules Change ballots underway

Terve Roger,

Naftali speaks words of wisdom.

1. The meeting timing (whether plenary or interim) is important to
oversees guests. Especially those tiny locations 3-4 flights away
make travelling really awkward, Sunday is spent travelling to be in
time on Monday morning (Monday afternoon opening is often a much better
alternative, probably even for North American people). WGs should end
by Thursday evening and thus SEC shouldn't enable WGs to continue on
Fridays, once again there aren't usually any afternoon/evening flights
with overseas connections from these tiny locations meaning in worst case
an early Saturday flight and home late on Sunday...

The basic problem is that somehow the process isn't efficient. WGs tend
continuously to extend their meetings and SEC is following. Instead SEC
should push this development in the opposite direction (OK, Email voting
is a try...). Fixing the SEC meeting time to 1-6pm could squeeze some
hours (3-7pm seems to be the current praxis). Anyhow, I would encourage
starting before noon to restrict the WGs to maximally the closing plenary
on Friday.

Naftali is right that additional (in)formal meetings should be encouraged
to help sorting out issues. After all, many items are problems just to lack
of communication and thus it's really annoying when a couple of people nag
forever about minor things consuming valuable meeting time. Efficient meeting
practices would mandate people to do their homework (our comment resolution
process tries to do this) thus restricting the meeting time for decisions. I
know, this is utopia in practice, but at least worth a try!

2. No comments

3. Email voting sounds good and would enable sorting out issues between meetings.
But the process isn't trivial, as Nico and Naftali pointed out, there must be
clear guidelines how it works! This on one side will add more bureaucracy and
administrative work but on the other hand also more deadlines etc. Most of us
are not doing standards full time and some even follow several groups. Suddenly
one's own time management becomes the critical factor. It's impossible to require
people to stay alert week by week for any urgent issues. The amount of 6 deadlines
(for 6 meetings) per year is sufficient granularity to ensure one can handle also
other tasks. Standards work is important, but I don't think anyone of us will hesitate
if the time should be spent on securing a critical deal. Less deadlines and sufficient
time between will allow people to contribute steadily as opposed to a fragmented approach
leading to low return ratios and thus unreliable and irregular results.

Email voting could be used for straw polls to aid in directing the way of work (e.g.
adjusting a contribution). A mechanism to identify potential disagreement before
entering the meeting floor would enable a dialogue to be started with potential
opponents prior to the meeting thus making it possible to adjust the idea to fit
the majority or even expand it. Currently discussion is conducted first time the
item is presented in a meeting leading to all debate and education happening during
valuable meeting time.

BR
Jori