From: owner-stds-802-16@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-16@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Roger B. Marks
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 5:20 PM
To: stds-802-16@ieee.org
Subject: stds-802-16: planning for Session #23 in January 2003

Folks,

We have recently gotten into the habit of selecting our interim
session site four months in advance. I think that this is a little
late and may be reducing the options of our hosts and potential
hosts. Also, we had three contenders for Session #21, and several
others that were interested but didn't make a real proposal. I
already have at least three definite inquiries for Session #23. It's
great to have multiple proposals, and it shows the vitality of our
group. However, with multiple proposals on the table, we might not
even know what continent we'll be visiting four months away. That can
cause some planning problems.

I would like to change our habit and begin making the choice six
months out. This means that I'd like us to select a site during each
802 Plenary Session. In July, we should be selecting a site for
Session #23. I would like to invite proposals.

In order to aid prospective Hosts in planning a proposal and in
organizing an Interim Session, I have put together the following
document:

Title: IEEE 802.16 Interim Session Guidelines
Document Number: IEEE 802.16-02/30

Also included is a defined procedure to make a choice among competing
proposals.

In addition, here are some specific guidelines for Session #23:

*We generally aim to meet mid-month. The week of January 13 looks
best. On the other hand, we could probably move a week forward or
backward without a problem, so the host has some flexibility in the
proposed dates. I don't foresee any ballot schedules that will
dictate a particular date. If anyone sees any important schedule
overlaps for January, please let us know.

*It's hard to predict the attendance. We had 97 at Session #15, 54 at
#17, and 87 at #19. I would probably expect 50-70 but have room for
90 or 100. A lot depends on how our projects develop.

If you plan to make a proposal, I'd like to make note of that so I
can so put this information on the web. I think that people want to
know who else is proposing before they develop their own proposal.

Cheers!

Roger